nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

Nissan Pulsar NX 1.8 l. twin cam 16 Valve My timing belt went

Customer Question

My timing belt went on the road , and car naturally quit. Had a good mechanic replace timing belt, and quote: he said car is now operating on 2 cylinders. But, I am wondering could it be that timing is not set right. Because: when i start engine and hear it running it sounds not like bent valves but sounds like timing is off. Could I have got a bad timing after mrket belt , that he unknowingly put in ???????
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

Given the reasons, the symptoms and the fact that you have an "interference engine"......meaning that valve to piston damage is most likely if belt breaks.............i would say that you have valve damage (and possibly pistons) causing this......however,

Billy :

To confirm, you can check engine compression (as if timing is off, all cylinders must still retain same compression), and you may check the timing marks, make sure the timing is good, or not....

Billy :

Here are the marks, so you check accordingly:

Billy :

The marks are timing marks (while lines) on belt itself, to coincide with marks on covers etc....

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if further info is needed.....positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/