SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience:  2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology
49697172

ignition switch wont turn off. Feels like it is blocked.

Customer Question

ignition switch won't turn off. Feels like it is blocked.
Category: Car
Expert:  SNAPONTECH replied 3 years ago.

Danny Steinwig :

Welcome to Justanswer

Danny Steinwig :

#06-07-30-004G: Various Concerns with Shifter and/or Ignition Key (Perform Repair as Outlined) - (May 27, 2010)

Subject: Various Concerns With Shifter and/or Ignition Key (Perform Repair as Outlined)

Models: 2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt

2006-2010 Chevrolet HHR

2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)

2007-2010 Pontiac G5

with Automatic Transmission 4T45-E (RPO MN5)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the Warranty Information #4. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-07-30-004F (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Important: When servicing a vehicle for any type of shifter/key concern, please perform the following initial inspections prior to replacing any parts.

• Verify the electrical operation of the ignition lock cylinder solenoid. Refer to the Ignition Key Can/Cannot Be Turned Off With Transmission in Any Gear in SI.

• Verify the adjustment of the automatic transmission shift cable. Refer to the Shift Control Cable Adjustment procedure in SI.

• If these initial inspections do not resolve the customer concern, check the potential causes listed in this bulletin.

Condition #1 (2005-2008 Cobalt, G5 and Pursuit Only)
Some customers may comment that the shifter binds.

Cause #1
The cause of this condition may be the shifter button sticking in the handle.

Correction #1
Verify that the shifter button is inoperative by evaluating if the park pawl pin on the shifter assembly moves when activating the button. If the parking pawl does not move when the button is activated, the shifter handle will have to be replaced. Refer to Floor Shifter Control Knob Replacement in SI.

Parts Information #1
Part Number
Description
Qty

22706231
Handle, A/Trans Cont Lvr (Model AL with MN5, TY8, VY7)
1

22706232
Handle, A/Trans Cont Lvr (Model AJ, AK and MN5; Model AL with MN5 [exc VY7])
1

22719080
Handle, A/Trans Cont Lvr (Model AL with MN5, VY7 [exc TY8]; Model AM with MN5; Model AL with MN5, R1V)
1

Warranty Information #1
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

K5111
Handle, Automatic Transmission Control Lever - Replace
Use Published Labor Operation Time

Condition #2 (2005-2008 Cobalt, G5 and Pursuit Only)
Some customers may comment they cannot remove the ignition key.

Cause #2

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x923.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]110.83333333333333[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

The pin that activates the micro-switch may have moved out of position (refer to illustration above). This causes the micro-switch to fail to engage when the vehicle is placed in Park. If this condition is present, the customer will not be able to remove the key from the ignition.

The illustration above shows the switch in a correct position.

Correction #2
Important: A change has been made to the shifter assembly for service. The replacement shifter assembly will read PRNDIL (Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Intermediate and Low).

Verify that the micro switch is out of position. Replace the shifter assembly. Refer to Transmission Control Replacement in SI.

Parts Information #2
Part Number
Description
Qty

15926820
Control Asm, A/Trans
1

Warranty Information #2

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

K5225
Control Assembly, Floor Shift - Replace
Use Published Labor Operation Time

Condition #3 (2005-2008 Cobalt, G5 and Pursuit Only)
Some customers may comment that the shifter is hard to move.

Cause #3
The slider may be binding in the guides. This may cause the shifter to become difficult to operate.

Correction #3
Replace the slide indicator and guides in the shifter following the procedure below:

•Apply the parking brake.
•Remove the upper console trim. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement-Console Front in SI.
•Remove shifter knob. Refer to Floor Shifter Control Knob Replacement in SI.
•Remove the indicator plate. Use a flat-bladed screwdriver to release the locking tabs.
•Remove the shifter indicator lens.
•Pull up on the indicator and remove it from the assembly.
•Remove the two front rails by unsnapping the front and lifting up, and then back, to remove the rails from the shifter assembly.
•Install the new guides. Place the hook end into the assembly and push down. It will snap into place.
•Install the new slide indicator. With the transmission in neutral, place the slide over the shifter and into the guides. Move the slide indicator down the guides in the front and rear.
Important: Replace the shifter indicator lens if damage is present due to the slider binding or if it becomes damaged during disassembly.

•Install the shift indicator lens.
•Install the shift indicator plate.
•Install the shifter knob. Refer to Floor Shifter Control Knob Replacement in SI.
•Install the upper console trim. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement-Console Front in SI.
Parts Information #3
Part Number
Description
Qty

15872229
Slide Indicator
1

15872228
Guide - Rails
2

15872230
Lens
1

Warranty Information #3

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

C9744*
Shifter Bind - Replace Slide, Guide and Lens
0.3 hr

* This labor operation is for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide

Condition #4 (All Years, All Models)
Some customers may comment that the ignition key cannot be removed from the ignition cylinder.

Correction #4
Check for power and ground in the ignition circuit. Verify for proper connection/contact at circuit D1, connector (C4 or X4) at the BCM.

Warranty Information #4

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

N6604

MY2009 and Prior
Ignition System Warning and/or Connector Repair or Replacement
Use Published Labor Operation Time

N6654

MY2010
Connector Reconnection

Condition #5 (All Years, All Models)
Some customers may comment that the ignition key is difficult to remove or that the key sticks or binds in the ignition cylinder.

Correction #5
Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 09-02-35-005A for additional information.

Danny Steinwig :

Go to this link for the technical service bulletin. This is a known issue and will need to be replaced in order to fix the problem.