Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi
21364095

mini cooper how can i reset the worn indicater light brake

Customer Question

how can i reset the worn indicater light " brake pads " on 2003 mini cooper ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

The buttons aren't going to be related here.

First off, did you replace the brake wear sensor(s) that were worn out yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks.

Okay there are two things that need to be done here; first the affected sensors need to be replaced or shorted, then the light needs to be cleared.

On the front and the rear brakes there is a sensor mounted on one brake pad that activates the warning light. The way the sensor works is there is two wires to the sensor that join at the end that mounts to the brake pad. When the pad wears down to a certain point, this sensor touches the rotor and it wears the end of the sensor off, breaking the connection of the two wires of the sensor.

When this happens, you are supposed to replace the brake pads (front or rear, whichever is the one that wore the sensor down), and install a new sensor.

Once the new sensor is installed, put the key in the ignition and turn it to On without starting the engine. Wait about 45 seconds and the light will go out.

If you choose to remove the sensor function from the vehicle, you can take the two wires from each pad sensor and short them together (cut and splice), tuck them out of the way (do not leave them attached to the brake pads), then perform the key-on step listed above and it will simulate new sensors. Note that if you do this you will lose the brake pad warning function until the sensors are replaced.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi ! DOUG it's phet once again !! on 2001 lexus v6 3.0l awd no reverse gear, put in drive craw forward about 20mph that's it !!! can you find that answer ? please,please !!!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Phet,

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of personal experience with the AWD Lexus models. If you post a question in the Toyota/Lexus sections you will be able to get someone with more experience on those models to better assist you.

Thanks!