Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year ASE Master Technician Current GM technician

99 grand prix: black wire..are coming out of the harness..purple wire

Customer Question

i have two more wires to land on my 99 grand prix starter. i have a orange wire i have a black wire both are coming out of the harness. i have laned the starter wire and the small purple wire. where does the orange wire and the black wire go
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Dan :

Hello

Dan :

My name is Dan

Dan :

There are a few wires that hook up to the main starter post on the starter

Dan :

I am looking at the wiring diagram for this car

Dan :

Looks like there is a big black wire that comes down from the battery

Dan :

there are 3 red wires that also hook up to the big starter stup

Dan :

There are fuseable links that goes between the red wire and the starter post.So the orange color wire may be the fuseable link.

Dan :

The fusable links looks like regular wire

Dan :

The purple wire goes to the small stud on the starter. That is the only wire that should hook up to the starter small stud

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you said the small purple wire from the wiring harness is the only wire to the small stud of the starter. ok landing on the big bolt at the top is the battery positive wire plus the purple wire.plus the two black wires that are already lug together is this the way i should land these wires, or are you saying this might be the way they land. i dont want to burn up my new starter. if you are looking at print of this hook up, what are the the two black wires for,also what is the orange wire for. please be specific on your answers. not shuld be, or this might be.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dan are you going to reply to my question, in the second letter.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay,

the 2 wires that are hooked together goes to the ABS module and the other one is for the alternator. They should have the big eyelets on them that goes on the big stud.

the only way to mess something up is if you hook a ground wire on the starter post. But the ground wires should not be able to reach the starter post unless they have been altered. A ground wire terminal looks different than the other terminals that hook to the starter. The ground wire should be hooked to the transmission case around the corner from the starter.