Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member

the engine power of lr3 2008 is sluggish is it from fuel filter

Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

Do you have any warning lights on (check engine light, transmission light etc...)?

Billy :

why was the muffler replaced, and was the catalytic converter or oxygen sensors removed, bypassed etc..?

Customer:

Hello Billy, my name is Humood

Customer:

I press return by mistake , any how there is no check lights, I thought the muffler causing back pressure, the converter and oxygen sensors was not removed

Billy :

good....so catalytic converters were not touched neither O2 sensors....and you have no warning lights on....that is great....

Billy :

In that case, i would advise that you replace the fuel filter and spark plugs..............(regular maintenance).......but i advise that you have this job done at dealers' as they know which parts to install.....

Billy :

PS: you clicking return did not do anything as i had the button disabled....

Billy :

But before doing that, i would appreciate if you would tell me more on the problem at hand:

Billy :

- did the problem occur suddenly? or progressively?

Billy :

- what is the mileage you have on this vehicle (odometer)?

Customer:

sluggish power , it struggling when increasing speed , the speed build up slowly, when you go to sand area lose power, the car was in a garage for slight body work, after that I experience this problem , odo is 106,000km

Billy :

oh......ok...........did the body work require any paint...and was it introduced to the paint furniss ?>

Customer:

yes

Billy :

ok..........in that case, you need to take the vehicle to a land rover specialist, as it needs to get hooked on a scan tool, to read the live data, and figure out what is happening (i hope that in the furniss no electronics were fried.....)

Billy :

And while at it, have them check the regular maintenance items (such as filters, spark plugs.....)

Billy :

You might also want to check if the air filter is clogged......

Customer:

I do the maintenance on time that is 12000 km intervals , they checked with the computer and change the air filter regularly, and according to them all ok.

Billy :

oh......have they test driven the vehicle?

Customer:

yes

Billy :

this is confusing......the problem (poor performance) started after paint job....................right?.....what did this paint job include?

Customer:

just slight repair and paint, but I think they filled the car with wrong fuel , the car uses 95, and they might used 91 and may be the station gas was not clean.

Billy :

ok..........in that case, you need to run till the fuel nearly runs out.......and just then put some octane booster additive ( a couple of bottles).......run for a few miles.....and then replace fuel filter...and put the recommended fuel in.......and go by dealer and have them reset the engine management system.

Billy :

Low octane would cause this poor performance, as to prevent engine knocking, the ignition would advance the timing and the performance is altered.....

Customer:

Thanks billy and have a good day

Billy :

Thank you Humood for trusting JA and myself........have a nice day.....

Billy :

PS: positive feedback and bonuses appreciated.....

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Customer:

i will do

Billy :

Thanks again, and get back to me if further info is needed......

Customer:

is the feedback after save and exit

Billy :

IF the info is satisfactory you need to click ACCEPT (green button) and then you can leave the feedback.....

Customer:

ok

Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member