Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.
10906483

What can the garage bill me for i.e. scratches, tyre wear etc

I have a car under a leasing system - when I give it back, what can be judged as normal
wear/use and what can the garage bill me for i.e. scratches, tyre wear etc. ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dj replied 6 years ago.

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. I'm Dj and I will work with you on this.

Dj :

Dings under the size of a nickel and small paint chips are considered normal wear. Scratches that can be polished out are also considered normal.

Dj :

Dents and scratches that would have to be repaired at a bodyshop are billable.

Dj :

Tire wear that is consistent with the mileage of the car is considered normal. Tires last about 35,000 miles on average. So if you have about 35,000 miles and the tires are worn out or just about worn out, that's expected. If you have 20,000 miles and the tires are worn out, that either abuse or lack of maintenance.

Dj :

Wear on the seat edges is considered normal, cuts and burns are not.

Dj :

Is there something in particular that you are concerned about with this vehicle?

Dj :

Dj

Customer:

Not really - but the last time that I gave a car back the dealer was very quick to bill me for some things that I thought should have come under the heading or 'normal wear'

Customer:

Thank you.