Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

1994 Rodeo: changing..hold the accelerator all the way..it dies

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Rodeo with the 3.2, it has 274,00 miles on it. It was running prior to changing a head gasket. Since I changed the head gasket, when I start it now, I have to hold the accelerator all the way on the floor to keep it running and if not it dies. It does not rev up high. What do I need to look at to trouble shoot it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

Please confirm the following:

Billy :

- after the head gasket replacement, the engine will no longer idle...........and on full throttle is does not revv high

Customer :

yes

Billy :

you need to check two things:

Customer :

You have to hold the accelerator all the way down it acts like the engine is flooded and does not run smooth but as soon as you release the accelorator it dies

Customer :

ok

Billy :

- timing marks, as wrong timing is likely culprit

Customer :

and?

Billy :

Billy :

- engine compression (on all four cylinders)

Billy :

Customer :

It is a six cylinder

Billy :

Billy :

yeah.......

Billy :

sorry for the mistake.....

Customer :

the engine was running fine until the head gasket was changed.

Billy :

that is why these two things need checking first, as most likely culprits....as these are in the way of gasket replacing, and can cause exactly this.....

Customer :

I marked it before it was taken apart and put it back the way it was marked.

Customer :

what is the timing setting? How far off of top dead center

Billy :

eventhough....you need to double check........

Customer :

It does not have a distributor so how will I adjust the timing if it is off. Can I use a timing light to check the timing?

Billy :

the timing is computer controlled, and is not adjustable

Billy :

i was referring to the belt timing marks......timing belt....and not ignition timing (although related)

Customer :

Would it do the same thing if I got the wires misplaced?

Billy :

are you referring to the ignition wires (HT wires going to spark plugs)?

Customer :

yes

Billy :

here is the diagram for these, so you double check:

Billy :

And the order is: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Customer :

It is not 1 4 6 3 2 5? (firing order)

Billy :

the numbering can differ depending on how you name the cylinders (which is 1 and which 2 etc...) however using the diagram above, the order would be: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Billy :

and here is how to check the timing marks (belt): click here for details

Customer :

Ok I will try wiring before having to take the motor a part to check timing. Another question, while driving down the road at regular speeds, it does not accelerate rapidly or kick into passing gear to pass. It cuts out but only if lower than a half of tank of gas. What could cause this?

Billy :

the kick down, is related to the kick down cable adjustment......and the tank of gas thing, is related to the EVAP (fuel vapor cannister, lines, and valve).......

Billy :

and of course check the firing order before getting to the timing marks....

Customer :

So if I click accept now I can stil come back and ask more questions once I have actually done the work if needed?

Billy :

and if you get to the engine compression, be advised that this should be around 12 bars, or 174 PSI

Customer :

Or does that end this session?

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.........get back to me if further info is needed (on this page)....

Billy :

Billy

Customer :

wiring was right

Billy :

so next you need to check (as first advised), the timing marks, and engine compression.............i presume there are no air leaks audible, or other visible problems.....