ToyotaTom
ToyotaTom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  8+ years experience, ASE Certified
30956819

Change Gear Shift Knob

Hello, I have a 1993 Isuzu Trooper. I want to change the gear shift knob. The OEM one just screws off and the one I bought at Auto Zone supposedly just screws on as well, but the parts don't seem to match up. Is there some kind of glue or anything else I can use to make the new knob stay on but also be able to possibly take it off later if I ever want to replace the OEM knob? Thanks!
Category: Car
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 5 years ago.

ToyotaTom :

Thank you for choosing Just Answer to help you with your questions!

The shift knob you purchased from autozone SHOULD have some with some little plastic inserts. pick the one that will screw into the threads on your shifter. This little insert should fit snugly into the shifter itself and make it fit like you think it should.

ToyotaTom :

If it did not come with these inserts, chances are someone already got them out of it

ToyotaTom :

And you should be able to return it for one that does have the proper inserts to install it

Customer:

No, it did come with the inserts, but both of the ones it came with do not fit and it just keeps turning.

ToyotaTom :

Unfortunately then, this one may not be the best choice for you.

ToyotaTom :

If you really like this one and want to use it, then Hot Glue is honestly probably your best bet. Squirt a ton of it up into the hole in the shifter knob (where the rod connects to it). The install the knob onto the shaft, and hold it where you want it to be. This hot glue will hold suprisingly well

ToyotaTom :

You would be amazed at some of the stuff hot glue will hold up to

ToyotaTom :

And best part of all, it's completely removeable if you decide to put the stock shifter knob back in

ToyotaTom :

peels off relatively easily when its all said and done

Customer:

Worked perfectly! Thanks!