BigBob
BigBob, Shop Manager/Technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

I have bubbles in the sight glass of my toyota van AC system. Should i add freon myself

I have bubbles in the sight glass of my toyota van AC system. Should i add freon myself or take it to my mechanic?

I have added before but the article here says take to a pro for AC service.
Category: Car
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.

BigBob :

Greetings and welcome to just answer!!!!!

Customer:

hey bob

BigBob :

Is the ac cooling ok?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

it is actually pretty good

BigBob :

Does the ac clutch kick on and off rapidly or stay on then goes off?

Customer:

i want to be sure i don't do any harm. the car is pretty old 135K miles and it has worked great all these years

Customer:

it cycles on and off. i have not noticed it kicking on/off quickly

BigBob :

I see. If it is not kicking on and off rapidly then I would leave it alone for now. R134a has some bubbles in the site glass, so that is normal. If you want to be sure have a shop hook up the ac gauges and see what the pressure are. Just topping it off can put to much in to the system and then could cause some damage.

Customer:

the adder can of freon came with gauges and last year the pressure was ok but it still took one can to stop the bubbles

Customer:

so do you say leave the bubbles and use it?

BigBob :

That is only reading the low side though. You can have high pressure and never even know it until it has already caused damage. If the system works I would leave it alone.

Customer:

how will I know when to do something? and do you think i can do it myself or does it have to go to the mechanic?

BigBob :

The system will stop cooling as well. There is built in fail safes that will not allow the compressor to turn on when it gets too low or too high. I would have the mechanic evacuate and recharge with the correct amount of R134a to be sure it is correct, because then you will not damage the system.

Customer:

thank you for the clear answer to my question