Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I have a 92 geo tracker 8valve 2wd auto.

I have a 92 geo tracker 8valve 2wd auto. has fuel pressure and spark but injector wont fire
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

hi

this can be caused by a couple of things..

1-the crank angle sensor..this is located inside of the distributer

2 the ecm[computer],this was a common problem on the older trackers

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

ALL THE BONUS MONEY THAT I RECEIVE DURING THE MONTH OF JUNE WILL BE DONATED TO THE AMERICAN RED CROSS FOR TORNADO RELEIF IN THE MID WEST AND DEEP SOUTH

Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor or Crank Angle Sensor (CAS)

• OPERATION
  • TESTING
  • REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Print

OPERATION

Carbureted engines and 1989-90 1.6L TFI engines covered by this guide do not use a Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor or a Crank Angle Sensor (CAS).

1.3L TFI and 1991-98 1.6L Engines

See Figure 1

The CMP sensor used on all 1.3L TFI and 1991 1.6L TFI engines is referred to as the Crank Angle Sensor (CAS).

The Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor is located inside the distributor assembly. The CMP sensor consists of a signal rotor, a stationary magnet, and a stationary Hall-effect switch, which is supplied ignition voltage, and is equipped with its own ground. As the signal rotor spins, magnetic flux from the magnet is applies to the Hall element intermittently. The Hall element generates AC current in proportion with the magnetic flux. The sensor pulse signal is received by the ECM, by which it used to determine crank angle input. The CMP sensor sends four pulses, per complete revolution, to the ECM. The ECM uses the crank angle input to determine when to ground the igniter, thus controlling the ignition coil and ignition timing. If the ECM does not receive the proper signal, it should set a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).

The CMP is located inside the distributor, which is mounted on the rear of the cylinder head.

FIG : Fig. 1: The Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor, or the Crank Angle Sensor (CAS), produces four voltage pulses for each camshaft revolution

image

TESTING

1.3L TFI Engine

For all Engine Control Module (ECM) terminal identification, refer to the illustrations earlier in this section.

1. Remove all necessary components for access to the ECM. Remove the ECM with the wiring harness connected, then set it on the floor of the vehicle for access during the test procedure. Ensure that the wiring harness connectors are fully engaged with the ECM.
  2. Disengage the yellow connector from the ECM.
  3. Using a Digital Volt-Ohmmeter (DVOM) set on the voltmeter function, connect the positive lead to terminal B1 on the green ECM connector, and the negative lead to terminal A13 on the detached yellow ECM connector. Refer to the ECM terminal identification illustrations earlier in this section.
  4. Turn the ignition ON .
  5. While observing the DVOM, have an assistant rotate the crankshaft with a large socket and ratchet on the center crankshaft pulley bolt. Turn the crankshaft so that it travels through 3 or 4 full revolutions.
  6. The voltage observed on the DVOM should fluctuate from 0-1 volt to battery voltage four times for each crankshaft revolution.
    1. If the voltage did not fluctuate four times for each revolution, or does not oscillate from 0-1 volt to battery voltage, inspect the wiring harness for an open or short circuit, or, if available, substitute a known good distributor and recheck the system. If the circuit checks out okay, replace the distributor assembly.
    2. If the voltage functioned as described, inspect the ECM, the wiring harness and related components.

1.6L Engine

1991 MODELS

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF .
  2. Remove all necessary components for access to the ECM. Remove the ECM with the wiring harness connected, then set it on the floor of the vehicle for access during the test procedure. Ensure that the wiring harness connectors are fully engaged with the ECM.
  3. Disengage the yellow connector from the ECM.
  4. Using a Digital Volt-Ohmmeter (DVOM) set on the voltmeter function, connect the positive lead to terminal B1 on the green ECM connector (which should still be attached to the ECM), and the negative lead to terminal A13 on the detached yellow ECM connector.
  5. Turn the ignition ON .
  6. While observing the DVOM, have an assistant rotate the crankshaft with a large socket and ratchet on the center crankshaft pulley bolt. Turn the crankshaft so that it travels through 3 or 4 full revolutions.
  7. The voltage observed on the DVOM should fluctuate from 0-1 volt to battery voltage four times for each crankshaft revolution.

1992-98 MODELS

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF .
  3. Using a Digital Volt-Ohmmeter (DVOM) set on the voltmeter function, attach the positive lead to ECM connector terminal B3 (1992-95 models) or terminal E33-3 (1996-98 models), and the negative lead to a good chassis ground.
  4. Turn the ignition ON .
  5. While observing the DVOM, have an assistant rotate the crankshaft clockwise (viewing the crankshaft from the front of the engine) with a large socket and ratchet on the center crankshaft pulley bolt. Turn the crankshaft so that it travels through 3 or 4 full revolutions.
  6. The voltage observed on the DVOM should fluctuate from 0-1 volt to 3-5 volts (1992-95 models) or 3-5.25 volts (1996-98 models) four times for each crankshaft revolution. The voltage presented on the DVOM should read 0-1 volt whenever the signal rotor is not between the Hall-effect switch and the magnet, whereas the voltage should be 3-5 (1992-95 models) or 3-5.25 volts (1996-98 models) when the rotor is positioned between the two components.

Suzuki Samurai/Sidekick/Tracker 1986-1998

Engine Control Module (ECM)

• OPERATION
  • REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Print

OPERATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4

TFI and MFI Models

See Figures 6 and 7

The ECM is a precision unit consisting of one microcomputer chip, an Analog/Digital (A/D) converter, and an Input/Output (I/O) unit. The ECM is an essential component of the electronic control system, and controls all major systems, such as the fuel injectors, idle air control valve, throttle opener solenoid vacuum valve, etc. The ECM also performs on-board self-diagnostic, back-up, and fail safe functions.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. Fig. 6: The ECM used on fuel injected Samurai models is located behind the glove compartment

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. Fig. 7: The ECM used on Sidekick, Tracker, X-90 and Sidekick Sport models is located under the left-hand side of the instrument panel

The ECM used on Sidekick, Tracker, X-90 and Sidekick Sport models is mounted under the left-hand side of the instrument panel. The ECM used on Samurai models is mounted under the right-hand side of the instrument panel.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Samurai Models

See Figures 5 and 6

WARNING The ECM is composed of precision parts. Be careful not to expose it to excessive electrical shock.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the glove box to gain access to the ECM.
  3. Disengage the wiring harness connectors from the ECM.
  4. Loosen the ECM retaining bolts, then remove the unit from the firewall.

To install:

1. Position the ECM on the inner firewall, then install and tighten the retaining bolts until secure.
  2. Reattach the wiring harness connectors to the ECM. Ensure that the connector retaining latches are fully engaged.
  3. Install the glove box.
  4. Connect the negative battery cable.

Sidekick, Tracker and X-90 Models

See Figure 7

2. Remove the two screws from the left-hand front speaker cover on the instrument panel.
  3. Remove the speaker mounting screws, and remove the speaker.
  4. Remove the two bolts and the ECM bracket from the instrument panel support brace.
  5. Remove the two screws, and separate the fuse panel from the ECM bracket.
  6. Remove the two screws, and remove the ECM from the mounting bracket.
  7. Disengage and label the wiring harness connectors from the ECM.

To install:

1. Position the ECM in the vehicle, then reattach the wiring harness connectors to it.
  2. Install the ECM against the mounting bracket, then install the retaining screws until snug.
  3. Install the fuse panel onto the mounting bracket.
  4. Position the ECM bracket on the instrument panel support, then install and tighten the mounting bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
  5. Install the speaker and cover.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.

Sidekick Sport Models

See Figures 7 and 8

2. Remove the steering column hole cover plate.
  4. Loosen the ECM retaining bolts, then remove the unit from the mounting bracket.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. Fig. 8: To gain access to the ECM, remove the steering column hole cover plate

To install:

1. Position the ECM on the mounting bracket, then install and tighten the retaining bolts until secure.
  3. Install the steering column hole cover plate.
  4. Connect the negative battery cable.