Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,

No fwd gears in 2001 jeep grand cherokee laredo

no fwd gears in 2001 jeep grand cherokee laredo
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 5 years ago.
Hi welcome to will answer your question the best I can,

No forward gears could be due to pump failure, or total loss of fluid.
If out of fluid, avoid running the engine until the Transmission is refilled to avoid pump damage.
To check for pump failure, check fluid level with the engine off, then start the engine and recheck fluid level. If level does not go down when engine is running, the pump is broken.

If this is the case a rebuild is needed.

Need further assistance Just ask.
Regards Greg
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I updated the question with more info but here it is again when this first happend I did check the fluid and linkage. both were fine. I then removed the transmission and had it rebuilt. the technician who rebuilt the transmission told me he found nothing broken or excessively worn in it but I still had him rebuild the tranny and when I installed it back in vehicle I still have no fwd gears only reverse the pump is working inside the tranny. any other thoughts on what could be wrong?
Expert:  Greg replied 5 years ago.

You have checked for low fluid level, loose or mis adjusted gearshift linkage/cable,so we can count this problem out.

Your technician said all looks okay so we can count out burnt rear clutch,

So that leave us with the following possibility's like a valve body malfunction,

or broken overrunning clutch the biggest possibility, or a worn/damaged input shaft

seal rings or a broken front planetary.

This is all that this could be for this concern.

Your tech will have to pull the transmission and recheck these possible causes .

Kind regards Greg