Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara: power windows..30 minutes later when I

Problem with 2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara power windows. Yesterday, I pulled down the front, drivers side window. 30 minutes later when I tried to pull it up it would not go up.

All other windows work fine, both from the master switch and from individual switches. I have tried turning the car on / off and locking / unlocking windows. Any idea of what might be the problem and how it may be remedied?

Hello and thank you for using justanswer.

Do you hear any noises from the window when the switch is depressed? Open the door so that the dome light is on, then operate the window switch, does the dome light dim when the window switch is operated?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Dave,

1) No, I don't hear any noises when the switch is depressed
2) The dome light is burnt, but I turned on the two front lights and did the same. The lights DID dim when I depressed the switch in question.
The switch is passing power to the motor since the lights do dim. The problem is going to be in the window motor itself. You will have to replace the window motor to fix the problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Dave,

Could you please provide a part number or link for the product that needs to be replaced as well as information on how to change this part?

Looks like the window motor comes complete with the regulator. It is part #(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Front Door Glass Components

1. Remove door glass.
  2. Disconnect power window motor lead wire at coupler and loosen clamp.
  3. Loosen regulator mounting bolts (1), nuts (2) and take out regulator through hole (3) as shown in the figure.

Reverse removal procedure to install window regulator noting the following point.

• Tighten bolts and nuts according to the order (a, b, c / 1, 2, 3, 4) shown in the figure.

• When installing glass, check that the top part of the glass contacts the glass run evenly and that the glass moves up and down smoothly. If the glass is tilted with respect to the glass run, make a fine adjustment with the screws.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Dave.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Dave,

I just noticed something else. The lights dim when I depress the switch, however when I pull the switch up (to close the window instead of opening it) the lights do not dim. Is it possible that the problem is with the up function of the switch?

Yes, if the lights do not dim in the upward direction then the switch is likely bad. If you have a test light or voltmeter, you can test for power at the switch. The yellow wire should have power with the switch in the Up position, the red wire should have power with the switch in the Down position.