Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

1999 ford contour. 2.0 VCT engine. Was idling badly. Ran good

1999 ford contour. 2.0 VCT engine. Was idling badly. Ran good down the road. Replaced: VCT solenoid, cam sensor, timing belt, belt tensioner. Set the timing. Idled great and ran great for about 500 miles. On a long trip, the engine started idling rough again. Engine code P1383 - Variable Cam Timing. Plan on removing valve cover tomorrow to check timing. But, I am looking for any advice someone may have from working on one of these engines with VCT.
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Customer:

Okay

Steve :

hi

Customer:

So - any ideas?

Steve :

did you replace the front belt sproket?

Steve :

the one that moves the cam?

Customer:

No

Steve :

P1383 - VCT Over-Retarded: Indicates The Exhaust Camshaft Would Not Advance (Return) To The Position Requested By The PCM.

1. The VCT is not moving the Exhaust Camshaft, possible bad VCT Solenoid.

2. The VCT is not moving the Exhaust Camshaft, possible bad Sprocket or sticking Sprocket.

3. The VCT is not moving the Exhaust Camshaft, possible low oil pressure, on VCT systems the engine has to have a minimum of 50 PSI.

4. The VCT is not moving the Exhaust Camshaft, possible wrong oil weight, contaminated oil, or wrong oil filter. Oil filter recommended is FL-2005

Steve :

I would replace the sprocket and the bolt and make sure you have the right oil filter

Steve :

and the oil is correct weight and clean

Customer:

New vct solenoid. Sprocket seemed to move freely, good oil pressure, FL-2005 oil filter used, correct clean oil. We will check the sprocket tomorrow to be sure. Anything else possible?

Steve :

you used the proper tools to align the belt

Steve :

if so replace the sprocket that is the problem and the bolt

Steve :

done a ton of these and i always replace the sprocket with the vct or you end up with this concern

Steve :

also make sure the wires are good on the connector to the vct

Customer:

Yes we used the proper tools. We will check the sprocket and bolt. And the wiring, I will get back to you tomorrow or Saturday to let you know what's up. Then I will 'accept' your answer if that's okay with you. Thanks for working with me on this.

Steve :

pull on the wire one at a time make sure it will not break and the insulation is not gone

Steve :

your welcome do not check it replace it to solve the issue

Customer:

Okay.

Steve :

you can get back to me anytime after hitting the green accept button on this chat I am always here and will answer any other questions

Steve :

F8CZ-6256-AAVariable Camshaft Timing Sprocket
F8CZ-6M282-AASprocket Bolt
Steve :

here are the part numbers you need to fix it

Steve :

replace both and all will be good if the wiring is ok

Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: 25 years working as a service technician