Brad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

while driving the other day, I hit a small bump in the road..disengage

Customer Question

while driving the other day, I hit a small bump in the road. this caused the transmission to disengage. The car was still running, but when pressing on the "gas" no forward movement.
The transmission will not engage in any gear (forward or reverse)
I checked and the U-joints are still in place, no visible leaks for fluid and fluid looks clean & full.
what could cause this to happen in an automatic transmission with less than 40k miles.
Category: Car
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

car is 2005 ford explorer sport trac

car has aproximatly 40000 miles

6 cyl enging

automatic transmission

visual inspection of the U Joint (rear wheel drive)

leaving engine running, changing gears 1, 2 , drive, reverse

checked Fluid level (clean and full)

Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
When you press on the gas pedal, does the engine rev up but the truck doesn't move? Like being in neutral?

Or does the engine just not do anything?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is like being in neutral no matter where the shifter is. the engine revs but the transmission does not engage
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
I apologize for the delay.

Based on your symptoms, it would be impossible for me to identify what the problem is. Either something has failed in the transmission, or all of the fluid has leaked out, or the transmission solenoid has failed.

Since you've already checked the fluid you'll need to rely on electrical and hydraulic pressure testing to find the point of failure. This is not something you're going to be able to do on your own.

You're going to need to tow it to a Ford dealer or a repair shop that specializes in transmissions. Sorry for the bad news.