Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year ASE Master Technician Current GM technician

2004 alero: car wont start..ignition switch..harness..the pcm?or

Customer Question

2004 alero:the car won't start when i accidentally jumpwire the acc and ignition wire at the ignition switch harness.did i make damage to the pcm?or just the bcm..thanks so much
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Dan :

Hello My name is Dan,

Dan :

tell me more about the issue?

Dan :

Did the car start before you jumped the wires?

Customer:

yea it's working good..i was installing the remote starter when i accidentally jump the two wires

Dan :

Does the service engine soon light comes on when you turn the key on?

Customer:

yes it's turning on

Dan :

Does the car crank?

Customer:

no it wont crank

Dan :

Crank but not start

Customer:

it wont start or crank

Dan :

Turn the key on, is there a theft light or security light, rotate the key to start and back to the run position without turning it off, Does the theft light or security light stay on?

Customer:

yea the theft light is on,but it turn off all the light when you put the key to start position but the the engine light stays on..thank you..

Dan :

After you turn it to start and back to run, the theft light is not flashing?

Dan :

do you have a volt meter or a test light?

Customer:

yea its flashing..

Customer:

i have a voltmeter..

Dan :

The theft light is flashing after you turn it to start and back to the runposition without turning it off?

Customer:

yea that's it

Dan :

Its a security issue.

Dan :

did you splice in to the 3 little wires going to the side of the ignition switch?

Customer:

so what the best thing i can do Dan?

Dan :

Did you hook up a bypass module while doing the remote starter?

Customer:

yea Dan,i did splice with the three wires.

Customer:

no i havent Dan.

Dan :

What I normally do when I install a remote starter in these is to bypass the theft system completely

Customer:

honestly its my first time to install this remote start..

Dan :

I will solder in a 2200 ohm resistor between the yellow wire and the black wire and do the theft relearn.

Dan :

leave the white wire open

Customer:

Dan,what should i do to make my car run?

Dan :

You can hook the 3 wires to the theft system back up the way they were and do a theft relearn and that should work but the remote starter wont work

Customer:

do you mean ,i'll cut the white wire to leave it open?

Dan :

to bypass the theft system, you cut the 3 wires ( white yellow and black) solder a 2200 ohm resistor between the yellow and black and do the theft relearn. and leave the white open

Customer:

so Dan when i accidentally jump wire the acc and ign wire,that didnt cause the problem?

Customer:

sorry Dan,but what does the theft relearn mean?how would i do that?

Dan :

should not caused an issue. Hold on a minute and I will post the relearn instructions

Customer:

thanks a lot Dan,you're great.

Dan :

10 Minute Learn Procedure

Tools Required:

None

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).

3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

5. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

6. Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

7. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password.

8. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

Customer:

my problem Dan is i dont have a scan tool.

Dan :

Forget that step

Dan :

It will clear itself out

Dan :

Here is a web site for the bypass

Dan :

You can also check the powers to the ignition switch to make for sure

Customer:

one thing i notice is when i tunr the key to start position,the 5 volts in the yellw wire disappear,was taht normal?

Customer:

so does these mean Dan,when i do the 6 steps,the car will already start?

Dan :

The Red wire with the black stripe and the other red wire should have power at all times. The pink wire and the dark green wire should have power in run and start positions. The brown and the orange wire wire should have power in the run position, the yellow wire should have power in the start position.

Dan :

After the theft light goes out, then try to start it.

Customer:

the yellow wire that i mean Dan is one of the 3 small wires..

Dan :

There are 3 connecctors to the ignition switch. 2 connectos with the big wires and then the small connector with the 3 wires. those 3 small wires, did you hook into those?

Customer:

no i didnt,i just accidentally cut the white one,what ive done is just measure the voltage reading in those three wires..

Dan :

hook those 3 small wires back up the way they are suppose to be and do the relearn

Dan :

or do the bypassing.

Dan :

You can also check the powers to the ignition switch to make sure they are all there.

Customer:

the white one reads 12 volts,and the yellow one 5 volts,i'm thinking that the black is ground.but i found out,its connected to the bcm when i traced that,Dan i'll try to do these steps, now.and if i have a question again can i still chat with you for more questions?

Dan :

Ok do that. the wires do go to teh BCM which is the module that contrls the theft system.

Dan :

I will switch this over to a question and answer session so you can post a response and it will email me when you do and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Dan :

I am getting ready to log off for the night.

Dan :

need anything elso before I go

Customer:

ok thanks a lot Dan,you're a big help to me.have a godd night,God bless..

Dan :

Thanks

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 Year ASE Master Technician Current GM technician
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi Dan.i want to thank you with your help.the car is ok now.one thing only that worry me now is about some blog that says anything against your group,but i got a help.i hope they are wrong.anyway Dan,is the 2200 ohms resistor for bypass,applicable to all cars?and can we used the same method..thanks so much.God bless..
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Glad your cars back running and Glad you had a good experience here. Its not always easy for us to diagnose the issue on the internet. It takes communication from your end to explain what is going on enough for us to point you in the right direction. Not all our customers give us the information that we need like you did. Most of us "experts" in this category work a job in the day time and do this in our spare time. I work at a GM dealer and do this after the kids go down and the wife is watching TV.

The 2200 resistor will work on cars with this system. there are 3 or 4 different theft systems that GM uses. Let me know the other car you are thinking about and I will let you know or not.

Thanks for the Bonus!! let me know if I can be of any more help.