Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair

Tracker: knocking..I accelerate..much gas..feather

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Geo Tracker and my engine is knocking a little. mostly when I accelerate. If I give it to much gas at once it has a hard time accelerating unless I feather it just right. I gave it a thorough tuneup with new plugs wire's cap, rotor fuel filter and air filter. What else could possibly be causing this?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 5 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.Is this knocking a pinging, or is it a metallic knocking noise? (does your model have a distributer,that is adjustable? When you say it has a hard time accelerating,Does it just bog down, or is it missing? thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IT's almost as though it's a rapid knock. at first it only did it around 3000 plus rpm's but today it started doin it sooner so we were tryin to listen to it and while we had the rpm's up after a bit it popped and completely decelerated. With the accelerating it bogg's down and if you don't let off soon enough it will kill the engine as if it's either getting to much or not enough gas
From what you have decribed,This sounds to be a piston rod bearing that is bad, This means the lower end of the engine will have to be taken apart,And then after the rod cap has been removed, the crank-shaft journal will have to be checked to see if it is damaged,if not then new rod bearings can be installed,if the crank is damaged,then the crank will have to be replaced also!