Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

24 4cyl.5spd.WHAT is the whinning noise I heard..test driving..5th

Customer Question

1998 Chev.Cavalier Z-24 4cyl.5spd.WHAT is the whinning noise I heard while test driving the car? Road speed 5th. gear.
Category: Car
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Most likely the noise you are hearing is a bad wheel bearing it is very common on this vehicle and at the speeds you are describing but without hearing the noise its pretty hard to be 100% sure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the noise I heard sounded more like it was coming from trans.,But I will get back with you ; we are getting car .Thought I would get idea what I might be up against.
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Like I stated above its pretty hard for me to say for sure without being able to hear the noise, if it sounds like it is from the trans be sure to check the fluid to see if it is low.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I guess I should have stated my question this way. Is there any problem or recall with the trans in this model of car ??

Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
There are no recalls listed for the transmission, as for there being problems with the trans, all models have some problems with the transmission but not every vehicle so its a case by case issue its not a specific problem that all vehicles have.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your time.No more questions.
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer, please do not forget to click the accept button.