CarDoc, Independent European Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with European cars. Independent European shop owner and technician.

000 km..metal on metal type noise coming..clutch pedal started going

my Ferrari 550 Marenello, 2000 year, has 30,000 km on the clock. I was driving it when I started to hear a metal on metal type noise coming from the rear of the car when i pressed the clutch. a few kilomeeters later the clutch pedal started going soft, untill it went to the floor and the noise became very low.
after that i could no linger shift at all.
should i go ahead and change the whole clutch or are there other thingg that could cause this?
Category: Car
Expert:  CarDoc replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm Jason.
I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

It sounds like you have just experienced a failed release bearing/clutch slave cylinder.

Please take a look at this picture:

The release bearing comprises of the parts shown in #28, and the clutch slave cylinder is #21. It sounds as if the bearing assembly failed (hence the noise) and then the cylinder over-extended, which has brake fluid as it's hydraulic fluid (hence the low fluid level).

I recommend to replace #4, 28, and 21.