Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

no spark on 4 cylinders cam and crank sensor signal present at pcm

Customer Question

no spark on 4 cylinders cam and crank sensor signal present at pcm the coil drivers one pulses fine one sends constant signal and one sends no signal at all
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry 1994 chrysler lhs 3.5l ive tried new crank and cam sensor plugs wires and coil pack
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. chances are you motor is out of time. You will need to pull the front timing cover and check the timing marks. I have a feeling you will find your problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry ive done that also all timing marks are lined up
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Then if the cam ansd crank signals back to the PCM are ok, then the only thing left is a bad PCM
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is there any grounds that might be bad causing the problem or something stupid stuff like that

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Sure.. the PCM could have bad grounds... but if it is firing the other cylinders... then they should be ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
could one of the other sensors cause a no start situation on that car
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
The cam and the crank signals are the only two signals the computer needs to fire the produce spark.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yeah but if a oxygen sensor is faulted out will it keepin the engine from running on this car or any other sensor trip a protection mode
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
NO... none of them will cause this no spark condition like you are having besides the cam and crank sensors and signals back to the computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so you are 100 percent on the pcm

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
No... I am confident that the cam nd crank are not in sync with each other.

If they are, then chances are the reluctor on the cam or crank is going to be damaged or an issue causing this problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so what should i do next

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have checked the ring on the fly wheel and it is fine

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
You need to scope the cam and crank sensors and verify that they are in sync with each other. You will need ot compare this scope pattern to known good pattern for this engine. If and only if this checks out ok, then replace the PCM.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand