CarDoc
CarDoc, Independent European Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with European cars. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

drivers window..come down slightly when door closes it seals as normal

Customer Question

my drivers window is stuck all the way up cant close door need it to come down slightly when door closes it seals as normal
Category: Car
Expert:  CarDoc replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Jason.
I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

Have you tried the window reset procedure?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No how do you do it is it easy?
Expert:  CarDoc replied 5 years ago.
yes, quite easy.

So get in the car, close the door and start the car.

Then, push the drivers window switch so that the window goes all the way down, and release the switch. Then press and hold the switch in the down position for 3 seconds, and release it. Then push the switch in the up position until the window is all the way up, and release the switch. Then press and hold it in the up position for 3 seconds and release it.

This should reset the window setpoints, and the window drop function when opening and closing the door should work properly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
window wont go down
Expert:  CarDoc replied 5 years ago.
Ah, ok, I slightly misunderstood the problem.

Can you hear any noises inside the door when you press the switch up or down?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No
Expert:  CarDoc replied 5 years ago.
ok, and are you looking to diagnose and repair this yourself, or are you looking to arm yourself with information so you have an idea of what it will require to repair this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Repair myself
Expert:  CarDoc replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thanks, and understand that while I do not have any printed service information I can post here, if you're mechanically and electrically adept, then you should be able to manage.

You will have to do the following.
- first check the window fuse (f26 or f27)
- if that is intact, then you will have to remove the door panel to see if the motor is powered when you press the window switch, if not, replace the switch
- if the motor is getting power, and the window is still not moving or attempting to move, then replace the motor
- if the motor is trying to move the window, but isn't successful, then you will have to check to see if the lifting mechanism is obstructed or broken.