Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Solenoid..the main window switch on the driver side..relay..door lock

Customer Question

i installed a window regulator in the passenger door the electric motor for the window regulator was not connectod after i installed the new regulator there is no power to the window switch or the power lock solenoid now is the main window switch on the driver side now damaged because of the passenger door being left unconnected or as a relay somewhere else open all other windows and door lock solenoids work as they should
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Have you checked all fuses to make sure they are o.k.?

Has the passenger door connection reconnected?

Where did you test for power and ground and what color were the wires?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the car belongs to my grandaughter she is at work now i checked power at the plug where the wires plug in motor and also at the window switch also the lock solenoid switch would not operate all other windows and locks operated correctly i will not be able to get colors until tonight thanks butch
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
Did you try reconnecting what you had unplugged to see if everything operated o.k. then?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i had all plugs and switches connected and in place to check the window regulator because it was new
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
It may be possible the drivers door control unit has failed and is causing this problem here.If you have power and grounds to the control units but you don't have the locks or windows especially on the drivers side .If the fault is on the passenger side the passenger front door also has its own door control unit that may have failed.

We would have to test for power and grounds to these control units to see if they have the correct voltage and ground.If they both do and if the drivers side isn't working or the front passenger side then it may be a faulty door control module for the side that isn't operating.

You would have to test for power on the orange wires at the modules in the door and test for ground at the black wires.

If you have the power and ground signal then it may be faulty door control module.You may also want to have the codes checked with a scan tool that can read codes from these control units to see if any codes are set.This will aid and in some cases can pinpoint the failure.

Most shops or dealers can check the codes for you and a parts store in your area may check for fault codes free of charge.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
all power windows and lock soleniods work correctly from all switches and from the drivers seat to all doors and windows except the passenger door window and the passenger door lock
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
If the passenger door window and door lock are all connected properly and the wiring to the passenger door control unit is connected properly and if you have tested the orange wiring and the black wires for power and ground at this control unit then you may have a faulty passenger door control module.

You can check to make sure fuse 12 which is labeled PDM in the rear fuse box is o.k. as this powers this control unit.If it is blown then it needs replaced.If it is o.k. then it may be a fault in the passenger door control module itself and would need replaced.I would have the codes checked first and the testing done to make sure.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
wher is the rear fuse box located the only box i could find is under the hood
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
From what I can tell is it should be under the drivers rear seat assembly,The drivers rear bottom seat cushion should lift up to access this fuse box.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i will go to where she works and check the fuse i hope you are correct thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
Your welcome.

Let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete!