Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair

wont start..start is to push it in reverse or 1st gear..same problem

Customer Question

My car won't turn over, when i turn the key i get no response other than the lights and radio, but it won't start. The only way it will start is to push it in reverse or 1st gear with the clutch in, once let the clutch out it catches and starts. I replaced the starter in January cause there was the same problem, so figured that was what was wrong again, got another starter and took it to have it put in, now the shop is saying that the problem isn't with the starter its something else, but they won't tell me what they think it is. Could you possible tell me what the issue could be if it isn't the starter. It is a 2004 Suzuki Aerio
Category: Car
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 5 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.Have them take a good look at the starter relay (common issue) if this tests good then the saftey switch on the clutch pedal may not be allowing voltage to pass to starter relay then inturn to the starter,Thanks, Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you with this issue!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Once the car is pushed, and i let the clutch out the car starts. It runs fine and drives fine after that, until i turn it off again. Is the starter relay different than the starter??? and is it expensive?? Or could it be found at a auto wreckers?? which is where i got the replacement starters both times.
The starter relay is located in the underhood fuse/relay box,Average cost for this relay $12.00 at parts house, thanks