Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

96 Land Rover Discovery- cold start ok..it stalls when started

96 Land Rover Discovery- cold start OK but if the car is hot it stalls when started- not using the a/c.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out causing rough running.
As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometime hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

also it may be worth checking the wiring to the coolant temperature sensor for any damage to the insulation or corroded contacts - if these are OK then it could be a faulty sensor as this can keep the fuel mix rich
Matt, Engineer
Experience: Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is this peculiar to the Discovery or general with all vehicles?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

this is a general tip that can apply to any vehicle with mass airlfow meter - however its worth eliminating the simple stuff 1st

let me knwo how you get on