Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

I have a V reg freelander..rear door..rear window

Customer Question

I have a V reg freelander. The rear door will not open because the rear window does not lower slightly. My garage tells me that they will need to remove the inside panel but cannot do this because they cannot open the door. What's the solution?
When unlocking the doors, you cannot hear the rear door unlocking mechanism.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
The problem is the latch has seized .If the door is stuck shut the door panel will need to be removed which will get damaged then the latched drilled out and replaced. You can try having someone rapidly pull the outer door handle as you try to kick the door open from the inside sometimes you get lucky and it opens . If not then you will need to have the latch drilled out and replaced unfortunately . These are the next steps. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
The remedy given would cause the rear door window to break.
Expert:  jagmaster replied 3 years ago.
This is a fairly common problem, and unfortunately, you will have to destroy the latch to get it open. I use a long flat bladed screwdriver, to ease in to the window channel, and then precede to break the latch until it opens. I've never broken the glass, you could if you aren't careful during the process.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think the latch is broken? When I bought the car it had the same problem - back door would not open. I asked for the problem to be fixed before collecting the car. The garage said that when they started to investigate the door opened OK so they didn't have to do anything. That was 6 months ago and I haven't had any problems until last week. I think it may be an electrical fault where the door is not unlocking. Loose connection somewhere. So I need to know how to get at the wiring.
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
It's not electrical if you can manually work the locks the latch is seized. It needs to be repaired the way I stated.