Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
20625509

ona2000 chevroletv-8 what causesshortdistributer caplife

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

heavy_chevy_396 :

What is happening to the cap? Is it burning up or it there actually the rotor touching and getting chewed up or something else?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
capis nothitting rotor ,sometimes rotorhas burned through. cap has deposits after 100 miles.it shows no check engine light.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
What kind of deposits and where? Inside the cap? Around the top, bottom, sides? Is it motor oil?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
deposits are oxidised alunimum onterminals.also afterrunning truck withstumble it may run ok for a few miles . stumble is usually under load
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Are you using a quality cap and rotor or is it one of those Duralast from like Autozone? Is it the same brand cap and rotor that was lasting 150,000 miles?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
error on my part cap had lasted15000 miles. used gm cap other capsare known to be poor quality. Truck bucks and stumbles like it is firing on the wrong cyclinder.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

Is the cap and rotor on there now new and ok? Has the distributor ever been out recently or moved? Have you double-checked the firing order? If it is still misfiring do a cylinder balance test and tell me what cylinders are missing.

First of all you will need a 12-volt test light and about 8-12 inches of neoprene vacuum hose. The vacuum hose will conduct electricity cause it is carbon based, use an ohmmeter if you are not sure and see if the vacuum hose you have will conduct.
Now, cut off the same # XXXXX cylinders you have in small equal lengths of the vacuum hose. 2-3 inches will do fine. The small diameter kind like to carburetors, etc will work as long as they fit over the distributor cap tower connection.
Now, mark all your spark plug wires at the cap or coil pack and remove them all. Put those short pieces of vacuum hose on the distributor cap or coil pack connections and shove the other end of the vacuum hose into the spark plug wire boot until it makes a good connection.
Now connect your 12-volt test ground clip to a ground and start the vehicle. With the engine running touch the 12-volt test light to each of the vacuum hose 1 at a time and listen for the cylinder to short out and die and drop in r.p.m. They should all be about equal. If 1 or a few don’t drop or do anything than you have your dead cylinder there.
graphic

Mike S., Mechanic
Experience: 25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.