Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair

2006 model..i first start the vehicle..reverse..happens only

Hi I own a 2006 model Defender TD5 and and having clutch issues. Basically when i first start the vehicle and when its cold the clutch moans and is hard to select first or reverse. Once im moving its fine, it happens only when im taking off. Can u help me? Sion
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.Has the transmission ever been changed? When you are saying its hard to select first or reverse (when vehicle is cold,after setting over night)?,Im assuming that it is stiff to shift into gear or is grinding Correct?Thanks let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sort of, when I depress the clutch it makes a moaning sound and you get a grinding sound as you select first
What is the mileage on this vehicle? thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, the moaning sound, is the release bearing(throw out bearing) As far as the grinding when trying to put it into 1st or reverse(when cold), Have the fluid changed (using the proper fluid) When the fluid gets old, it tends to cause the shift legs,and synchronizers to hang-up, inside the transmission,Untill it warms -up then the fluid becomes thinner, If the release bearing is getting noisey,you will have to remove the trans. to replace it (recommend that you then replace the complete clutch assembly) But you can buy some time by just changing the fluid, as long as the clutch is not slipping or chattering, and the noise from the release bearing is not excessive, (in the long run you will have to replace the release bearing and the complete clutch assembly! Thanks!