Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

Suzuki JLX Sidekick 4x4 I have a 95 Suzuki Sidekick JLX with

I have a 95 Suzuki Sidekick JLX with automatic transmission. There is a problem with the transmission. At first the reverve gear was sluggish to engage. 30 seconds to a minute. There was no funny noises coming from the transmission. Now none of the gears want to engage, forward or backward. I was told I need a new transmission. How do you know the transmission is done or could it be something else that is repairable? I was also told to convert the automatic to standard. Is that even possible? What are my options if the transmission is kaput? Rebuild? Second hand? Convert?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok yes if the fluid level is ok the transmission has failed internally and will need to be replaced. Best option covert g to a manila will cost a lot of money . You will need to add mounts cables etc. Your best option is to get a transmission from a salvage yard for about 250 dollars and have that installed. What happened is the clutches in your transmission failed and do not allow pressure to hold and will not engage. This also damamged the valve bodies. So a salvage transmission is the cheapest route to go . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
" convert g to a manila" meaning automatic to standard? Is this a fairly routine job or a expensive patch job?
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Converting to a manual transmission is pretty expensive about 1000 for the conversion. Hoped all this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.