Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

cylinder..driving 100 + miles daily (round trip) to work...000 miles

Customer Question

I am looking for a reliable, fuel efficient used compact, 4 cylinder vehicle for daily driving. I will be driving 100 + miles daily (round trip) to work. I will be driving summer and winter conditions at altitude (6,000 miles). Please compare Toyota, Mazda, Acura, Hyundai, Subaru and any other make and model that fit this discription. Automatic vs manual trans. My question is which vehicle will give me the best fuel milliage and mechanical reliability?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
In order of reliability I would say Toyota, Nissan, Honda/Acura, Subaru, Mazda, then Hyundai and most of the American small cars. German small cars are somewhat trouble prone and more expensive to maintain in many cases (unless maintenance is rolled in as part of the sale). Fuel mileage is almost identical for an Auto or Manual and in most cases an Auto is better than most people can drive. If you drive includes hilly terrain then I might opt up for the next size car (Camry, Altima, Accord) since the one drawback with a small car/small engine is the ability to climb while loaded, but if you drive with just you this may not be a concern. Stay away from hybrids, they are not getting enough true increase in mileage to justify the expense and eventual maintenance costs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How many miles on average should a 2009 & 2010 vehicle have? What mialage should I be concerned about; 20, 30, 40, 50K?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 years ago.
With most of these vehicles I would only be concerned if it had more than 20k per year or less than 5-7k per year. Many of the higher rated vehicles can go more than 150k miles with no major work. And the type of driving you will do is better for the car than most. If it has very low mileage it needs to have the title searched for damage, many very low mileage cars are that way because they were in a flood or accident. The average you should expect is about 15k per year since that is considered "normal" now with so many people commuting farther to work.