Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

98 Rodeo: intermittent..Pulling..the alarm fuse doesnt stop it

Customer Question

98 Rodeo has intermittent alarm issue. Goes off for no apparent reason. Pulling the alarm fuse doesn't stop it. Disabling the alarm and electric locks (fuse) doesn't stop it. Only way to keep it off is to pull the battery cable. Also before problem showed up the remote locking/unlocking stopped working for the tailgate. Replaced the tailgate lock actuator but problem persists. If it comes down to replacing the controller which one do I need. I see a controller and a control unit listed. Are these the same part?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Have you tried disconnecting the hood switch?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Didn't try that. I can see that a bad switch might cause the intermittent alarms but would that also cause the tailgate remote operation to not work?
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Yes any part of the alarm failing will affect the tailgate release also . Need to start here next .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Disconnected the hood switch. Replaced the tailgate actuator and the lock switch. Tailgate is still non-responsive.