Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

Just bought a 97 Disco for my son two days ago...running great.

Customer Question

Just bought a 97 Disco for my son two days ago. It was running great. I wanted to give him a clean car. Due to a front seal leak, the undercarriage was pretty dirty. Plus I wanted to see where any other leaks might be. I have slight seepage from the oil pan gasket. No big deal. Anyway, I wanted to get the top of some of the chassis, that meant under the hood. I tried very carefully to not spray any electronics, I wasn't so lucky. Problems started immeadiately after the wash. Here's my problem. Idles fine. Fine up to about 1500 RPM. Rough and occasional misfires after that and complete loss of power at about 2000-2500 RPM. Won't go any higher. Actually starts out OK when cold. As soon as the engine warms up, which it does quickly, this condition arises. Had a "Random misfire detected" code once. Cleared it. No other codes show up, even when running poorly. I just feel sick that I broke my sons car before I could give it to him. He picked it out and was so excited.
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm Neal and I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

Based on the info provided I would say it is the plug wires or one or more of the ignition coils.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have ensured the plug wires are on securely. Is there a way to test the coils? Why would they work at low RPM's and not other times? The RPM's just stop increasing at 2500 RPM and is rough at full throttle. Basically, is there anything I can do short of taking it in for a full diagnostic?
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

Some parts stores can test coils but maybe not for a LR. Sometimes coils will fade out as the demand increases. Can your hear any arching from the plug wires?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not seen or heard any arching. The plug wires terminate into four modules, two per module. Are these the coils? Can I throw a multimeter in line to check output? Also, I did add an after market fuel system cleaner called "Seafoam" to a full tank of 91 octane gas. The washtime may be coincidental. Could this have broken something loose and I have a fuel starvation issue?
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
Those are the coils. Out put is too high and it will arc. Seafoam is a good product and is unlikely to be the issue. it might be worth spending the money on the diagnostic in this case.