Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

2.4: plymouth..wont start..check fuses, both relays and i..fuel pump

Customer Question

1996 plymouth breeze 2.4 wont start
i have check fuses, both relays and i have no voltage going to the fuel pump
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm Neal and I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the proces.

Have you tried to check the codes? You may have a bad PCM.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a Mac tool ET 97 reader and i can not communicate at all with the vehicle. I dont know if this tool is the proper tool for this vintage do you now. I do suspect if it is the correct tool and i cannot cummunicate then it is maybe the PCM
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
I think that tool is compatible with obd2 so it should work. So it is likely the pcm. Anything 96 and later is obd2 so if you can plug it into another 96 or later car and it works it will be compatible.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there only one psm or is there a body control module that could maybe be the problem
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
That would be the pcm if it is affecting your fuel pump.
Neal, Mechanic
Experience: Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Neal still having problems i replace both modules and still no power to the fuel pump. I think there must be a problem in the wiring. Do you know of any problems areas with wiring in the 96 breeze's. Because in the past I have had problems with my ignition power to the starter solenoid. My interior dome lite does not work properly and also my right door indicates that the door is ajar.
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
I am not aware of any particular trouble areas. I will opt out and see if someone else can help you with that.
Expert:  Mike Senary replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX hope I can help you with your problem. Have you tried powering up the pump by running the power and ground to it to see if the fuel pump will turn on at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes i did and there is nothing I was thinking it must be protect somehow so people can not bypass it

If you have supplied power and ground to the fuel pump and it still did not pump the fuel, then the fuel pump has failed and needs replaced. There is a fuse for the fuel pump in the fuse block under the hood on the driver side. The fuses are labeled #8 and #10, #8is rated for 20 amps (yellow), #10 is 10 amps (red) check these fuses. These are the only "protection" for this circuit

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will give a another try tomorrow Thanks will talk to you later
Am going offline for a week or so.
The expert that told you it was a PCM IS wrong. You accepted the answer the other expert supplied after I pointed you in a educated direction. This does not pay me for my time. If my response helped you, you need to click accept on my response. Otherwise the expert who did not help you is who gets paid, for not helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am understanding how it all works now. Can I cancel the payment for and Neal and past it along to you
You may have to contact a administrator to resolve the payment issue, but feel free to ask me more questions if needed. Thank you.