ASE Master Tech 35yrs
ASE Master Tech 35yrs, ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck Tech, foriegn and domestic
10832065

2001 CHEVY IMPALA LS: WARNING LIGHTS..ABS..WHATS GOING ON TANK YOU

Customer Question

2001 CHEVY IMPALA LS 3.8 V.6 WITH THE WARNING LIGHTS OF THE . TRACTION OFF ABS AND THE SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM WHICH THESE LAST ONE GOES OFF AND ABOUT 20 SECONDS BUT THE OTHER TWO STAYS ON FOR AS LONG AS YOU DRIVING SEE IF YOU CAN GIVE AN IDEA OF WHATS GOING ON TANK YOU JOE
Category: Car
Expert:  ASE Master Tech 35yrs replied 3 years ago.

ASE Master Tech 35yrs :

Glad to be of help. You will need to have it scanned for codes to determin the problem. There are some things you can check without a scanner that will turn on your ABS light. Check to see if the middle (third brake light) rear brake light illuminates when stepping on brake. Check your fluid level in master cylinder. Check your battery voltage. A burned out middle brake light will turn on your ABS light as well as low voltage or low level brake fluid or bad brake fluid level sensor. If all of these things check good, you will need to know the codes.

ASE Master Tech 35yrs :

I'm switching to Q&A format to be notified of your response.

Let me know if you need more help and if you know the codes found.
Experience: ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck Tech, foriegn and domestic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok on reference to the 2001 impala ls with the abs lights on that were 9 codes on the computer B 1216 B1222 B1223 B1224 B1126 B1233 B 1245 B1248 B1254

With those codes, it looks to me that you need to replace your EBCM, but should be checked out by dealer to be sure. Here is what the codes mean:

C1126 Cruise Control Command Switch Assembly Circuit Failure

C1216- The EBCM monitors the On/Off state of each solenoid and recognizes when the
ABS is in pressure decrease too long. This fault indicates that the EBCM was
unable to decrease brake pressure enough to a certain wheel to prevent excessive
wheel slip.

C1222 - Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal is 0

C1223 - Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal is 0
C1224 - Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal is 0

C1233 - Right Front Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted

C1245 - ABS Outlet Valve Coil LR Circuit Short To Ground

C1248 - EBCM Turned the Red Brake Warning Indicator On

C1254 - ABS Inlet Valve Coil RR Circuit Failure Abnormal Shutdown Detected

DTC C1254

Circuit Description

The microprocessor contains a data storage area, keep alive memory, which can save pertinent data when the ignition is turned OFF. The keep alive memory (KAM) data is lost if battery power or module ground is removed from the module. The KAM area is an integral part of the microprocessor and cannot be serviced separately.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The ABS conditions and the braking conditions are normal.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The microprocessor calculates a checksum on those areas of memory that hold critical operation data. This is done at a regular interval and is called the periodic checksum. The microprocessor also calculates a checksum on these memory locations when ever new data is written to them. This is called the running checksum.

To check the keep alive memory (KAM), the microprocessor compares the periodic checksum to the running checksum. If they do not match, the microprocessor sets the DTC.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

If equipped, the following actions occur:

• The EBCM disables the DRP/ABS/TCS for the duration of the ignition cycle.
  • The EBCM disables the variable effort steering (VES) for the duration of the ignition cycle.
  • The ABS indicator turns ON.
  • The Traction Off indicator turns ON.
  • The EBCM will not send serial data messages.
  • The EBCM will not send the requested torque output to the PCM.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

• The condition for the DTC is no longer present and the DTC is cleared with a scan tool.
  • The electronic brake control module (EBCM) automatically clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected inXXXXXcycles.

Diagnostic Aids

Possible causes of this DTC are the following conditions:

• A loss of battery ground
  • A disconnected battery
  • A running reset A running reset is detected when the keep alive memory check sum is not updated properly.
  • A sudden drop in the system voltage to less than 5 volts
  • Long extended engine cranks that cause the battery voltage to drop
  • Poor power or ground connections
  • An internal EBCM malfunction

Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

2. Tests for an open in the ground circuits of the body control module.

4. Verifies the proper operation of the charging system.

6. Determines whether the DTC resets.

Step

Action

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: ABS Schematics

Connector End View Reference: ABS Connector End Views

1

Did you perform the ABS Diagnostic System Check?

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - ABS

2

1. Turn OFF the ignition.

Important

Removing battery voltage or ground from the EBCM will result in the following conditions:

• Loss of the TIM learned tire inflation configuration parameters in the EBCM
    • The EBCM sets DTC C1245

When the diagnosis is complete, inspect the tire pressures and perform the TIM reset. Refer to Tire Pressure Monitor Reset Procedure in Tire Pressure Monitoring.

1. Disconnect the EBCM harness connector.
  2. Install the J 39700 universal breakout box using the J 39700-99 breakout box adapter to the EBCM harness connector only.
  3. Test the module ground circuit of the EBCM for a high resistance or an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 3

3

Has the battery been disconnected recently?

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 4

4

Test the charging system. Refer to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Electrical in Engine Electrical.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 5

5

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the EBCM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 6

6

1. Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
  2. With the scan tool, perform the Automated Test.

Does the DTC reset?

Go to Step 7

Go to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems

7

Replace the EBCM. Refer to Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) Replacement .

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 8

--

8

Does the DTC reset?