Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

Daewoo lanos a 2001 daewoo lanos the idler broken, has jumped

Customer Question

a 2001 daewoo lanos the idler broken, has jumped timing i need some kinda literature to repair thanks you
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Randall. here is the procedure but be advised, if the belt became loose, jumped timing, then this is a inteference engine and very possible you bent valves. belt would have to be put on to determine OR a cylinder leak down test done with special tool
IMING BELT

CAUTION: The 1.6 DOHC is an interference engine; therfore, align the crankshaft, camshaft and timing belt as described in this service procedure to prevent damage to the engine.

- Tools Required
  • J-42492 Timing Belt Adjuster
  • KM-470-B Angular Torque Gauge

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disconnect the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor connector.

1. Disconnect the air intake tube from the throttle body.
  2. Disconnect the breather tube from the valve cover.

1. Remove the air filter housing bolts.
  2. Remove the air filter housing.
  3. Remove the right front wheel.
  4. Remove the right front splash shield.

1. Remove the A/C compressor drive belt, if equipped.
  2. Remove the alternator drive belt.
  3. Remove the power steering pump pulley bolts, if equipped.
  4. Remove the power steering pump pulley, if equipped.
  5. Remove the crankshaft pulley bolt.
  6. Remove the crankshaft pulley.

1. Remove the upper front-timing belt cover bolts.
  2. Remove the upper front timing belt cover.
  3. Remove the lower front timing belt cover bolts.
  4. Remove the lower front timing belt cover.
  5. Remove the power steering pump mounting bolts, if equipped.
  6. Install the crankshaft pulley bolt.

1. Using the crankshaft pulley bolt, rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the timing mark on the crankshaft gear is aligned with the notch at the bottom of the rear timing belt cover.
  2. Slightly loosen the coolant pump retaining bolts.

1. Using the timing belt adjuster J-42492, rotate the coolant pump counterclockwise to release the tension on the timing belt.

Important: Remove the timing belt behind the power steering pump.

1. Remove the timing belt.

Installation Procedure

1. Align the timing mark on the crankshaft gear to the notch on the bottom of the rear timing belt cover.

1. Align the timing marks on the camshaft gears.

Important: Insert the timing belt behind the power steering pump.

1. Install the timing belt.

1. Rotate the coolant pump clockwise using the timing belt adjuster J-42492.

1. Rotate the coolant pump clockwise until the adjust arm pointer of the timing belt automatic tensioner is aligned to the notch in the timing belt automatic tensioner bracket.
  2. Tighten the coolant pump retaining bolts.
  3. Rotate the crankshaft two full turns clockwise using the crankshaft pulley bolt.
  4. Loosen the coolant pump retaining bolts.

1. Rotate the coolant pump until the adjust arm pointer of the timing belt automatic tensioner is aligned with the pointer on the timing belt automatic tensioner bracket.

1. Tighten the coolant pump retaining bolts.
    • Tighten the coolant pump retaining bolts to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.).
  1. Remove the crankshaft pulley bolt.
  2. Install the power steering pump mounting bolts, if equipped.
    • Tighten the power steering pump mounting bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).

1. Install the upper and lower front timing belt cover.
  2. Install the upper and lower front timing belt cover bolts.
    • Tighten the upper and lower front timing belt cover bolts to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.).
  1. Install the crankshaft pulley.

1. Install the crankshaft pulley bolt.
    • Tighten the crankshaft pulley bolt to 95 Nm (70 ft. lbs.) using a torque wrench. Using the angular torque gauge KM470-B, tighten the crankshaft pulley bolt 30 degrees plus 15 degrees.
  1. Install the power steering pump pulley, if equipped.
  2. Install the power steering pump pulley bolts, if equipped.
    • Tighten the power steering pump pulley bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
  1. Install the alternator drive belt.

1. Install the A/C compressor drive belt, if equipped.
  2. Install the right front splash shield.
  3. Install the right front wheel.
  1. Install the air filter housing.
  2. Install the air filter housing bolts.
    • Tighten the air filter housing bolts to 8 Nm (71 inch lbs.).

1. Connect the air intake tube to the throttle body.
  2. Connect the breather tube to the valve cover.
  3. Connect the IAT sensor connector.
  4. Connect the negative battery cable.

Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i paid but ican't see my answer now why? The question was A daewoo lanos has jumped timing,1.6dohc due to a busted idler! year 2001 i can see the information but not the diagram!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont or can't see an diagrams about timing marks!

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
I did not see your response till this am. Pics will time out after awhile. here are the ones for the marks showing crank, cam and how to adjust or tighten the belt

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I installed the timing belt ,allianged the crank to marks on diagram an camshaft,did compression ck, non so damage valves today pull head extract valves so head bolts footpounds torque? how much!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I installed the timing belt ,allianged the crank to marks on diagram an camshaft,did compression ck, non so damage valves today pull head extract valves, so head bolts footpounds torque? how much?
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Tighten the cylinder head bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) . Adjust the bolts to 70 degrees plus 70 degrees plus 30 degrees using the angular torque gauge KM-470-B.

Since you do not have angle guage. you will have to turn each by eye so.. 45 degrees is = 1/4 turn etc

graphic
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
graphic

graphic