Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair

We are in Santa Nella, CA near Los Banos (central) and stopped

We are in Santa Nella, CA near Los Banos (central) and stopped at Wendy's earlier this evening. During the chaos of exiting the car with two kids, I lost the key. We have an LR3 2006. I don't know where the spare key is. We are at a hotel across the street. What's the best way to get a replacement? Can a locksmith work with a transponder key? Fingers crossed. Our dealership is in Marin. Desperately seek a key! Hilary
Category: Car
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 5 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.The issue here is they can make a key, but cannot program it to the vehicle,(Transponder type key) Call a dealer in the area,you will have to have it towed to the dealership,Sorry! Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how will they tow it if they can't put it in neutral? we had a tow truck here to tow it to our hotel and they couldn't tow it because couldn't put it in neutral since we didn't have key.
Have them use what is called a roll-back tow truck, and tow dolleys, Call a dealership in the area and explain the issue to them, They will send out a qualified tow truck driver that will do the job right! Thanks let me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue!