Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
18617752

2001 Isuzu Rodeo: oil pressure light..I take off the light goes off

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo. The oil pressure light has been coming on but only when I am at a stop. Once I take off the light goes off. The oil level is good. How does one check the oil pressure itself?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

Most commonly, this will be a faulty Oil Pressure Switch. Over time, the internal resistance of the switch wears out, and when there is no pressure on the switch (like at a stop) the switch will give faulty readings. Basically- it's just a wear and tear item, and the most likely culprit of your problem. This switch is located on the oil filter housing:

graphic

Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you sooooo much. I was afraid that it could be a big problem. Now I can breath easier and this is something that possibly my husband can change out himself. Now I just have to find one. Again, thank you.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Yes- piece of cake replacement item for a DIY'er. This switch should be readily available at any local parts store, like say NAPA.

Glad I could help! Have a great day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I previously asked you about the oil pressure light on my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo coming on when at a stop. Today I took my vehicle to the shop to have other work done and mentioned the light. He check the pressure and said not good. He mentioned that he could tear it down and see if a rod bearing needs replacing and could repair hopefully enough to keep me on the road for maybe another year. I can't get another vehicle right now because I am still in bankruptcy. What are your thoughts on this? Other wise when he looked at it yesterday and listened to it and put his computer on it the only thing that came up was the fuel sensor in the tank that makes my fuel gauge work was bad. I've known that for a while. Any info would be appreciated.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.
If the actual pressure was measured with the use of a pressure gauge, and was found to be low, then this will be an internal problem. Could be bearings, could be the oil pump itself, could be a clogged screen. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is going to be to tear it down as he had stated. This is going to cost a LOT of money. Unfortunately, at this point, the choice is going to be all yours. Do you want to spend all this money on a 10 year old vehicle?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He told me it would cost about $500 to do this. I can live with that. If this is the case and he does this repair, could I possibly get at least another year out it. I don't go far in it anyway. Work is 30 miles round trip.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.
Yes. Once the oil pressure issue is resolved, you'll more than likely get more than a year out of it. Keep the reciept for this repair- it's nice to have when you go to sell the vehicle. People like to see repair bills when they purchase a used vehicle!
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. That puts my mind at ease a little bit. Now I will just wait to hear from the mechanic. Fingers and toes crossed.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Glad I could help! Have a great day!

Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I got my car back and he did not do anything with the rod bearings. He would have had to pull the motor. He pulled the lower oil pan and found a lot of debris. He cleaned it out and changed the oil and filter. The light is staying off now. He said that the motor was basically being starved for oil because of this. He wrote on the ticket that the oil pressure is 20 psi idle hot. Does this sound good?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Isuzu does not provide a spec for oil pressure at idle. They suggest it be checked at 3,000rpm:

At 3000 rpm 392 - 550 kPa (56.9 - 80.4 psi)