Alex
Alex, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician
15182921

04 chrylar sebringMy powersteering is hard to turn.

04 chrylar sebring
My powersteering is hard to turn.
Submitted: 3 years ago via Advance Auto Parts.
Category: Car
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with your question.

Does the power steering pump make any noise while turning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
When you installed the power steering pump, did you bleed the system before starting the engine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didn't install it. i paid a shop.

Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Can you please look into the power steering fluid reservoir and see if the fluid looks foamy or bubbly with the engine running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it's dark and I have no light. but the last time i looked it appeared smoothed.
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
I would take a closer look at the fluid with a flashlight. Start the engine and turn the steering wheel back and forth a few times and then take a look. If the fluid does not appear foamy, then I suspect that the power steering pump installed may be defective.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is the second pump because the first one was defective. Can they test the pump before i leave the auto store again.
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
I don't know of any way to test the pump with it out. However, it's possible whoever installed the pump either damaged it while installing the pulley, or did not bleed the system before starting the engine. After installing a new pump, the front wheels need to be raised off the ground and the steering wheel turned stop-to-stop at least 20 times before starting the engine. If this is not done the new pump could be damaged.

Another thing to consider is that the screen in the power steering fluid reservoir could be clogged. If the screen is clogged, it will not allow enough fluid to the pump, which will damage the pump. The fix for this is usually to replace the reservoir.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
now that you mention the fluid is still full when I filled it the first time. When I refuse to let mr don't know nothing that owns a shop to work on my car because the pump and everything was working when I lost power and he said i needed a new motor. can you sent that answer to as a text so i won't forgot to do what you say.
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately just answer will not allow me to view number combinations if you replied with your number. Is there any way you can copy and paste my message into your email and send it to yourself?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much for your help.
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome. Please don't forget to click accept, and let me know if you have anymore questions. Thanks!
Alex, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Technician