Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair

1997 OLDS BRAVADA: STEERING..IT WILL ONLY TURN FAR..FAR ENOUGH

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1997 OLDS BRAVADA AND I'VE STARTED HAVING TROUBLE REMOVING KEY FROM STEERING COLUMN. NOW IT IT GET STUCK MOST OF THE TIME. IT WILL ONLY TURN FAR ENOUGH TO TURN MOTOR OFF BUT NOT QUITE FAR ENOUGH TO GET KEY IN UP RIGHT POSITION TO GET OUT. THE CHIME WILL STAY DINGING AS LONG AS DOOR IS OPEN. IVE TRIED MOVING KEY BACK AND FORTH/PUSHING IN AND OUT/SHIFTING BACK AND FORTH PARK NEUTRAL/DRIVE /BACK TURNING STEERING WHEEL/ PUSH BRAKE/PUSH CAR FORWARD THEN BACK NO LUCK THEN I JUST GET LUCKY AND IT MAY COME OUT SOME TIMES. THE STEERING WHEEL IS NOT LOCKED IN PLACE IT STILL TURNS? HELP I ALSO TRIED TURNING KEY OVER AND PUT IN ,NO LUCK.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 3 years ago.
Hello: The problem you are having here is the ignition key cylinder is going bad/or very worn key(keys made from a worn key will still not work right) you can try spraying wd-40 directly into the ignition cylinder,then working it 5 to 10 times to see if it starts working,If not then you have to replace the ignition key cylinder Thanks Please let me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue.
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience: 30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
IS THE KEY CYLINDER A DEALER ITEM ONLY?
No you can get this at any auto-parts store, If you are going to install this I acn assist you through this ( not to hard to replace) Average price for ignition switch is $30.00. Thanks let me know
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I HAVE CHANGED THE LOCK CYLINDER, BUT THAT SEEMS NOT TO BE THE PROBLEM THE ONLY WAY THE KEY WILL COME OUT IS TO PUSH IN THE PIN ON THE BOTTOM OF THE SOLENOID NEXT TO THE KEY CYLINDER. IT LOOKS JUST LIKE SOME CARS THAT HAVE A BUTTON TO PUSH BEFORE REMOVING THE KEY BUT THIS ONE IS ELECTRIC SOLENOID OPERATED. I TESTED THE SOLENOID WITH POWER AND IT WORKS I ALSO TESTED TO SEE IF POWER IS GETTING TO THE SOLENOID AND THERE IS NO POWER TO IT IN ALL KEY POSITIONS AND WITH BRAKE PRESSED . ALL FUSES ARE GOOD I ALSO CHANGED THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH AT THE BRAKE PEDAL IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE .
That is the shifter interlock solenoid, Make sure all fuses are good,if they are good, Try moving shifter around to see if it is bound-up
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ALL FUSES ARE GOOD AND THE SHIFTER IS NOT BOUND UP IT MOVES FINE I TRIED PUSHING AND PULLING ON THE SHIFTER AND ALSO ROCKING CAR FRONT TO BACK.
Do you have a test light? (so we can test the signal to the interlock solenoid)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I HAVE TESTED IT WITH TEST LAMP /NO POWER COMING TO IT. WHEN TURNING KEY ON OR OFF WITH BATTERY CONNECTED. ALSO HAVE TESTED INTERLOCK SOLENOID RAN A POWER WIRE TO IT AND IT WILL WORK.
So then are you saying that when you run wire to solenoid, you can remove key? Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
YES, BUT ITS NOT GETTING POWER FORM THE FACTORY WIRE HARNESS THAT PLUGS IN TO IT. I USED A HOT WIRE FROM BAT. TO TEST SOLENOID, IT WILL WORK IF POWER CAN GET TO IT.

Does your model, have a column shifter or a floor shifter?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
FLOOR SHIFTER
okay then, mounted on a bracket inside the floor shifter console there is a switch( is it on off type switch) that sends a voltage signal to the solenoid to let it know when the shifter is in park. Check to make sure we have voltage to the switch, and from the switch to the solenoid. If you have voltage to switch and onto the solenoid when the switch is engaged, then you have a bad switch at the shifter. If you have voltage coming out of the switch the shifter is in park and it is not reaching the solenoid, then you have an open in that wire. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK I WILL CHECK THAT.

Thanks let me know