Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair

Suzuki Aerio SX 2003 Suzuki aerio

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Suzuki aerio sx and recently I was driving and came to a stop at a light and my car gave a small vibration and then died out. I then tried to start it again and it wouldn't stay on after trying about 6 times. Then I waited 5 minutes and tried it again it started right up and I drove it home about 3 miles away and as I pull into my drive way it died out again. Threw the past week I have been driving it still and sometimes it does the problem and sometimes it doesn't. Also threw the week sometimes the service engine soon light comes on sometimes it's doesn't. What could be wrong with my car need advice asap. Thanks.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 3 years ago.
Hello: From the way you decribe the condition, you need to have the fuel system tested for low fuel pressure,(fuel pump going bad) Thanks let me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I was to change the fuel pump.. For part selection would it be the fuel pump electric intake type or OE electric intank type.. Or is it possible that it's the fuel pump relay??
You need to use the OE intank type, As far as the relay goes,Yes it can also cause the fuel pump to shut down,(as a rule of thumb, when replacing fuel pump, you should replace the relay ) I would recomnend that you replace the relay first,see if it makes a change, Then if not go ahead and replace the fuel pump. (relays cost $15.00, Fuel pump $169.00 in my region) Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Asked two auto zones and they both said they think it's the idle air control valve... I trust you more because your a real mechanic and your part advice is cheaper but how sure are you not to disrespect u but these parts are both expensive and money is tight
Keep in mind that auto-zone is a parts supplier, (in business to sell parts,) Like I was saying, have the fuel pressure tested first, If tests good, then we can look at other possibilities like a dirty throttle body(this can cause the idle air control valve not to respond,just a matter of cleaning the throttle body, they tend to get full of carbon inturn plugging ports and slowing down the air control valve from working correctly)Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks to but where can I get a fuel pressure test do they do that cheap anywhere
The average price in my region to do this testing is ($45.00) Price shop in your area,In most cases a good repair shop will wave the testing if they are going to do the repairs,Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I recently been trying to find somewhere to get my fuel system tested and can't find anywhere... But auto zone will loan me the tool as long as I return it ... Never done this process will it be hard to do on my own
Not to hard,Accept this answer, then re open another question, And I will walk you through the process. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am unsatisfied with your answer due to a diagnostic test showing that my idle air control valve was bad and you said fuel pump
I asked you to test the fuel pressure first, And I told you that the average price to test fuel pressure by a shop in my region was about $45.00 You stated that auto zone would loan you the tool to test fuel pressure but you said it would be hard for you to do on your own! You then asked that if you were to change the fuel pump, What type of pump, I said it you were to replace pump to use OE type pump and also replace relay. I was wanting test results before making a call if the pump is bad or not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Y didn't u just suggest a diagnostic test
First post I sent you states : From the way you decribe the condition, You need to have the fuel pressure tested Thanks