Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair

I found a bolt hole on the block and I..leak..drivers side..tire

I found a bolt hole on the block and I don't know what should be in it. I have changed the head gaskets and there is still a leak from the back corner on the drivers side. When I took off the tire and the exhaust manifold flange I saw the bolt hole and it look like that is where the leak is coming from. I'm not sure how to fix it.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 3 years ago.
Hello: This is on the drivers side rear of the block, It is to have a 3/8 by 1/2 long bolt with thread sealer on it, This is a oil galley port .Plug off with bolt with sealer on it. Thanks
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience: 30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But its not leaking oil its leaking coolant
Is this a freeze plug leaking, or it it the treaded hole for temp. sensor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its not a freeze plug. The only freeze plug I have found on the side of the block is behind the oil filter and it is not leaking from there. My buddy who is a mechanic menchioned a temp sensor, but would the temp sensor not being there cause coolant to leak. And is it possible for that little sleeve in between the head and the block at the outside rear headbolt to cause a leak.
This is a threaded hole for a temp. sensor. (1/8 fine thread pipe plug) Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So do I need a temp sensor or do I just plug the hole?
You should install a temp.sensor,( are you able to see the wire connection, that goes to the sensor.if so then yes install a sensor,if if was removed in the past/for some reason.and the connector is missing) Then install a plug in to the hole.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't see any extra wires and we just bought the car is it going to be a problem that there isn't a temp sensor? Where would I look for the wires?

You can purshase what is called a manual temp gauge,You will have to mount it inside so that the driver can see the engine temp. (gauge kit comes with all adapers so that it will fit most engines) This way you can see engine temp.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
And is it possible for that little sleeve in between the head and the block at the outside rear headbolt to cause a leak.
That little sleeve you are refering to is aline-up dowl for the cylinder-head, Only if you have dislodged it and it is crushed between the head and block.Then there will a gap between the head and block,Causing not only coolant leak but loss of compression at the last cylinder too.