Lurch
Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Ford, Chev Cert, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics.Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years.
1609972

Geo Metro my car wont start, no power, i assume its the alternator(dead)

Customer Question

my car wont start, no power, i assume its the alternator(dead) but when i jump my car and pulll the positive off the alternator keeps the car running
Category: Car
Expert:  Lurch replied 5 years ago.

Test the White Lead from the Alternator into the Fuse & Relay Box to the "Fuseable Link" & then out from the Fuse & Relay box to the + Positive side of the Battery.
Sounds like the Fuseable Link is bad, bad connection from the Alternator to the Battery or the Battery has a bad Cell & will not accept a Charge

graphic

graphic

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system.

I have sent the information you have requested.

PLEASE click ACCEPT so that I may get credit, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what exactly am i going to be looking for a cut wire, lime build up, and when i go to start the car i get very little juice and some lights will flicker on then slowly dim out
Expert:  Lurch replied 5 years ago.

sorry for the delay...........

You need to test for Voltage on the WHITE wire, with the engine running from the Alternator to the Fuse Relay Box, out from the Fuse Relay Box to the + Positive Battery Cable with the + Positive Battery Cable disconnected & engine running
Do not do this for longer that 3 minutes

If you have Voltage all the way to the Battery, then the Battery is bad or the Connections are bad

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks anyways man all i needed was to look at the positive wiring, it was frayed at the battery connector thing(sorry havent gotten to my electrical classes) and i just used some electrical tape and put it back to the connector. im going to get one of these jobs...i guess you got $25 free but what you said made me look at the connections and i realized that disconnection, taped it, and she started and purred like i built her too.
Expert:  Lurch replied 5 years ago.

i guess you got $25 free but what you said made me look at the connections and i realized that disconnection, taped it, and she started and purred like i built her too.

Thank You for the update

Not FREE..........!!, as you did take a second look & found your problem
Hope I can help you in the future

THANK YOU

Thanks for using J/A