Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Isuzu Trooper: I have a 1991 Isuzu trooper. I need to know

I have a 1991 Isuzu trooper. I need to know what to look for on the teeth or sprocket of the timing belt sprockets to re time the vehicle for putting a new timing belt on. If there are no marks to be found then how do I time this engine. It a the 4 cyl version
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

this may help you

thanks

1986-92 2.3L and 2.6L Engines

See Figures 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9

FIG : Fig. 5: Crankshaft sprocket timing mark-2.3L and 2.6L engineimage

FIG : Fig. 6: Camshaft sprocket timing mark-2.3L and 2.6L engine image

FIG : Fig. 7: Timing belt installation sequence-2.3L and 2.6L enginesimage

FIG : Fig. 8: Timing belt tensioner lockbolt-2.3L and 2.6L engines image

FIG : Fig. 9: Timing belt and tensioner assembly-2.3L and 2.6L engine image

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
  2. Remove the upper and lower timing belt covers.
  3. Rotate the crankshaft to align the camshaft sprocket with the mark on the rear timing cover and the crankshaft sprocket keyway with the mark on the oil seal retainer cover.

With the timing marks aligned, the engine is positioned on the TDC of the No. 4 cylinder's compression stroke.

1. Loosen the timing belt tensioner and relax the tension and remove the timing belt from the crankshaft sprocket.

To install:

1. With the crankshaft and the camshaft sprockets aligned with the timing marks, install the timing belt. Install the timing belt using the following sequence: the crankshaft sprocket, the oil pump sprocket and the camshaft sprocket.
  2. Apply the tensioner pulley spring pressure to the timing belt.
  3. Rotate the crankshaft 2 complete revolutions in the opposite direction of rotation and realign the timing marks.
  4. Loosen the tensioner pulley bolt to allow the spring to adjust the correct tension. Torque the tensioner pulley bolt to 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
  5. Install the timing covers and the crankshaft pulley.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable. Start the engine and check for leaks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thats exactly what I was looking for the pictures really help. The sprocket right above the crank shaft most engines call that the balance shaft, does it have a timing mark?

this is the oil pump on this one,,not a balance,,no mark,put it anywhere

thanks

FIG : Fig. 7: Oil pump assembly-2.3L and 2.6L engines image

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Cool! Thank you so much

you are welcome

thanks for using justanswer