CarDoc
CarDoc, Independent European Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with European cars. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

limited: In cold weather engine struggles to start but is ok when warm

engine consumes 1.5 ltrs of water per week and has limited power when cold or first starting. In cold weather engine struggles to start but is ok when warm
Category: Car
Expert:  CarDoc replied 6 years ago.

CarDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

CarDoc :

I'll need to know quite a bit more detail before I can offer an answer

CarDoc :

hello there

Customer:

hi fire away

CarDoc :

Ok, first off, I need to know what type of car this is

Customer:

jeep grand cherokee crd limited 2.7 02 plate ive had it for 7 years. in good condition but had this problem with the water for a year or two but only recently during the bad weather and lateley had the power and starting in cold weather problems

CarDoc :

Ok, I've got to be honest, I've got a VERY limited base of knowledge on these. I locked onto this question because I was not aware of the vehicle information beforehand, and it looks as if you selected U.S. as the country of origin. Now I can give you my thoughts related to the water consumption problem, or I can see if there is another expert on here who knows the UK models, and is more familiar with Jeeps

Customer:

yes probably better to get an expert on the uk models / jeeps

CarDoc :

No problem at all. Try not to respond until another expert sends you an information request or answer. And when I pull out of the chat, that will also post as an answer, but please don't accept, since we're not at that point yet. Just a bit of a site glitch

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Hi i'm still waiting for answer to my question ?

Expert:  CarDoc replied 6 years ago.
Seems as though we don't necessarily have any resident 2.7cdi experts on here, so I'll send you my thoughts, and accepting them as an answer is entirely up to you.

First, I would assume that you are not noticing any coolant on the ground under your engine, despite the obvious coolant consumption?

With that said, from your description of the symptoms, I am speculating that you're in need of a cylinder head gasket. It sounds as if it's leaking into a single cylinder, possibly two, and it's a very slow leak.

So, here's the squence of events that I'm speculating. After driving your Jeep for a while, you get home, and shut it off. At this point, the coolant is still pressurised. It then begins to leak through the head gasket into one of the cylinders, and sit on top of the piston. After a while, the cooling system cools down, is no longer pressurised, and stops leaking into the cylinder. However, there still is a small pool of coolant in one or two cylinders. When you first start it up in the morning, the cylinders with the coolant in them misfire and run rough until all of the coolant is burned off.

This can easily be verified by a shop in the following manner: remove glow plugs or injectors. Pressurise cooling system with coolant pressure tester for about an hour. If they have a borescope, then they can take a look inside the cylinders to inspect for coolant. If they don't, they can just crank the engine over to see if coolant shoots out of one of the injector/glow plug holes.