George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

Hyundai Elantra: unlock..push button..Problem is with the trunk

Customer Question

I'be asked this question previously... Just bought a new Hyundai Elantra / 2011 with a smart key door unlock and push button ignition. Problem is with the trunk. The trunk opens fine when I use the "open" trunk button on "Fob". The problem is when locking the car... I push the button on the door handle and all doors lock except the trunk. It seems that when I'm in very close proximity of trunk it stays unlocked.Experimented around and found that if I walk across the street and push the lock button on the fob. Put the smart key on the ground, and walk back across the street, I find the trunk locked?? Went back across the street picked up my smart key, went back to the trunk and found the trunk unlocked... Am I going to have to be a distance from the car, hit the manual lock button on the smart key every time I want to lock the trunk??? Because if I get too close to the trunk with the smart key, the darn trunk won't lock!!! Any suggestions??? Thanks!!
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Any time you have the fob in proximity to the trunk it will be unlocked so if you press the handle release the trunk will open. When you move the fob away from the trunk the trunk will be locked.

This is normal and expected.

Let me know what further questions you have about this

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I waited an hour to get this response... Which does not help me at all... Unfortunately I do not feel that the time inconvenience and your answer did not help me in any way... I will stop in my car dealership today, and make a complaint there... Thus I feel that this response was not worth $18.00.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If you say the car trunk will relock after leaving the proximity of the car, how long will this process take? I feel very uncomfortable even having the trunk unlocked when I am not in plain sight of the car...
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

As soon as you move the fob out of range of the sensors inn the vehicle the trunk will be locked. In your case you found about 20 feet to do the trick.

It is your choice to accept a correct answer or no but I answered as soon as I saw your question when I logged onto the Just Answer website this morning. Prior to that I was sleeping.

Your vehicle is equipped with proximity sensors that will unlock the trunk when you approach with the fob inn your possession. This information is found in the owners manual.

If you need further information about the operation of your new vehicle please let me know

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fee has been accepted....
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you and please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you

Thank you for using JA!! again!