Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.
10906483

I install a 2 cylinder engine on a 4 cylinder chasis?

how can I install a 2 cylinder engine on a 4 cylinder chasis? and what two cylinder engine made in the US would be the best for the job?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dj replied 3 years ago.

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. I'm Dj and I will work with you on this.

Dj :

The two most common two cylinder engines in the US are Onan and Brigg & Stratton.

Dj :

I just looked at Craigslist and Ebay, and you have quite a few choices with prices ranging from $75 up to $1,200.

Dj :

What is your goal with this project?

Dj :

What kind of chassis are you going to modify?

Dj :

Dj

Dj :

One other thought. Why not just take two pistons out of a 4 cylinder to make a 2 cylinder? It would be a lot easier.

Customer:

I am very interested in the 2 cylinder Loremo proto-type made in Germany. 150 MPG, 0-60 in 10 seconds at a cost of $ 13,000.00. Since I can't buy one and import it to the US, I am researching the possibility of building one here. How would you go about doing this?

Customer:

I will wait for his reply.

Dj :

That's a turbo diesel and the car weighs about half of any car you could buy in the US. And the price I heard was about $24,000.

Dj :

The next problem for the Loremo is passing US safety standards.

Dj :

And one more thing, they've made claims I don't think they've produced and sold any cars yet.

Dj :

Have you been following the $10million X prize?

Dj :

Dj

Customer:

What is the $ 10 million X prize?

Dj :

This is a deal that was set up to provide a prize to the first person to make a 100 mpg vehicle with seats for four people that was realistic.

Dj :

In other words, not a canvas car.

Dj :

They've had other prizes like this and it's pretty cool because it motivates people and companies to create new products.

Dj :

Here is an article about one of the cars.

Dj :

If you do a google search for "100 mpg x prize" you will find a lot of information.

Dj :

It's not that easy to get 100 mpg.

Dj :

Dj

Customer:

I will repeat my question. Is there a 2 cylinder engine that can be used in place of a 4 cylinder engine car? If so what engine in what car? Please advise. Regards, Javier

Dj :

Javier,

Dj :

Just about any engine can be installed in just about any car. The difficulty will be the same. It's much easier to install a smaller engine into a car than it is to install a larger engine into the same car.

Dj :

You will need to build motor mounts and a transmission adapter, something to hook the new engine to the transmission.

Dj :

You will also need to get cooling to the engine, this could just be ducting or a fan.

Dj :

You will have to integrate the wiring from the vehicle to the motor. Not too difficult.

Dj :

When you are all done, you will probably have a vehicle that is unsafe to drive in regular traffic because it will have no power.

Dj :

And it's not likely that you will improve fuel economy enough to justify the expense of the work.

Dj :

Fuel economy is determined by the weight of the vehicle, the wind resistance of the vehicle, the rolling resistance of the vehicle and the efficiency of the engine. The engine size is insignificant.

Dj :

I hope I've answered your question. If not, I'll opt out and put your question back into the expert pool.

Dj :

Dj

Customer:

Thanks for your answer DJ. I will have to keep on looking for a way to build a car that will safely travel 60 or 70 miles to the gal. I am not a mechanical person, but I know that someone already knows how to build such a car. Question is: do Car manufacturers, Oil companies, and other interested parties want an extremely economical auto. What do you think?

Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.