nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

when i start my car..when i start driving i hear a fairly loud noise

when i start my car, their is no noise. when i start driving i hear a fairly loud noise, this has been going on for about 3 months. what do you suggest? XXXXX XXXXX BALTIMORE, MD. IT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING IS RUBBING AGAINST SOMETHING.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

I would appreciate some further info on the matter:

Billy :

- please confirm that when vehicle is stationnary the sound goes away....

Billy :

- does the sound increase when vehicle speed increases?

Billy :

- does the sound increase or decrease when you are taking a right or left turn?

Billy :

- and if you have a manual transmission, is the sound affected by the clutch pedal operation?

Billy :

- and finally does the sound seem to originate from the front, rear of vehicle, engine etc...

Billy :

Please include any other symptoms, and any recent work performed (the more i know, the more accurate the answer...)

Customer:

Thanks, Billy,

Customer:

To answer your questions in order: The sound goes away when the car is stationary; it increases a bit from about 0-30 mph, but is less noticeable at higher speeds; making turns either left or right doesn't affect the sound; the clutch pedal opperation doesn't appear to affect the sound; the sound is happening in the front driver's side of the vehicle, either where the tire is or around that front section. It doesn't sound like the tire, itself, is rubbing, but that something metal is grinding as the wheel spins.

Billy :

Hello again,

Billy :

It could be many things, however the most likely given the symptoms you described would be:

Billy :

- either brake pads grinding on the disc (in that case the noise should go away when the brake pedal is depressed)

Billy :

- a faulty wheel bearing would also cause this.

Billy :

- other less likely causes would be transmission items, and shafts......

Billy :

However, i would suggest that the car gets lifted, and then the wheel turned (the one on the noisy side), or even have the engine on, and engage the gear, and listen closely, to pinpoint the sound.......first check the brakes, bearing, and brake disc metal cover (it is on the inside of the brake disc........then get to the drive shaft and transmission (just listening closely).....

Billy :

Get back to me if further info is needed.....

Billy :

Thank you Georges for trusting JA and myself!

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy