Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

2003 Infiniti G35: well maintained../118,000 miles..w/55,600 miles

Which vehicle among these three choices would be a better investment and best on gas in which all have appeared very well maintained?

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS w/99,975 miles racked
1999 Volkswagen Passat GLX w/118,000 miles racked
2003 Infiniti G35 w/55,600 miles racked
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 3 years ago.
The Infiniti by a long shot. Although the Passat may have slightly better fuel economy the Infiniti is by far a more reliable car. The Impala is poor on both fuel economy and reliability. And the "fast factor" of the Impala is probably pretty close to the Infiniti, the 3.5 is a VERY quick engine. No comparison really, and if the Inifiniti is priced similar to the other two it is a smoking hot deal, or the others are vastly overpriced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All three are listed in very similar pricing and possibly underpriced with the need to sell asap..

The 96 Chevrolet Impala SS is listed by a service member and she has dropped price from $1800 to $1500. The 99 Passat GLX at sell for $1800. The 2003 Infiniti G35 at sell for $1800 as well..which woud be the better investment now?

Expert:  Ted G. replied 3 years ago.
That Infiniti is worth over $9000 even as a trade in, in rough condition. I suspect a scam or there is something very very wrong with that car. If you can get it for that price then you have won the lottery. The other 2 cars are priced fairly and I might choose the Impala as it will be easier to find people to work on it. But if gas mileage is your largest concern then the Passat is better on fuel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So is this meaning the impala is possibly cheaper to keep up but heavier on gas, and the Passat cost effective more in up-keep and lighter on gas..

Alright my newest inquire towards a possible decision is of the Impala and
Passat I do like good gas mileage as factor but in the long run of cheaper maintenance and parts which leaves the pockets lighter if something were to happen? I too have been concerned of a possible scam towards the Infiniti, but the luck is of odds and gamble anyways since all are not of a local purchase unfortunately. I know buying a vehicle you can not inspect first-hand is usaully wisely advised against but the two to choose have third-party ebay involved and vehicle on arrival has 5 to10 day inspection time for like or dislike.. standing true its still a gamble. You have been helpful thanks

Expert:  Ted G. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the repairs and maintenance on the Impala are likely cheaper than the Passat but the Passat will be more fuel efficient. If the Infiniti is an online sale it is a scam. No one will give you 5-10 days to look it over.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness