nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

radiator..flywheel was loose and now it has come..completly..fan belt

My Landie was making a noise between the engine and the radiator. It turned out the flywheel was loose and now it has come out completly. On checking it, I discovered that the fan belt had come out.
Prior to this, it had difficulty pulling and changing gears. Could it be that the fan belt was not pulling enough to give it power? What must I do?

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

The flywheel is between the engine and transmisssion............i believe you are referring to the crankshaft pulley......this is where the drive belt is installed, and this gives power to the fan, amongst other things.

Billy :

As this belt also drives the alternator (which is the main electrical power supply), it would cause the reduced performance.....

Billy :

Now, you need to check the pulleys, where the belt is mounted, and make sure all the pulleys are aligned and look good......

Billy :

Then you have to check the tensioner and idler pulleys (these would be the pulleys with no instrument behind them, unlike the alternator pulley which has an alternator, or the fan pulley which has a fan attached to it)........if the idler and tensioner have a rough sound when you turn them by hand...........or if they are hard to turn, you should replace them......

Billy :

Then get a new belt and fit it......

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Customer:

Can this be done by anyone or do I need to get professional help?

Billy :

If you have some expertise.........you can do it...........take a look (as described above), and make that decision......

Billy :

However, if you feel, that checking the pulley (idler or tensioner)........or refitting the drive belt (as this is not an easy task), is beyond your expertise, better get someone trained to do this.........