Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech

1995 saturn: check engine light came on..parked..20 minutes..runs fine

I have a 1995 saturn sl2 and it started acting like it was going to die and the check engine light came on. I parked the car for about 20 minutes and started it up the check engine light was off and runs fine. do you think it might be my fuel filter or fuel pump or something else.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer

The check engine light comes on when the PCM (computer) sees a system fault and when this happens a fault code is set. To know why it came on you would need to have the system scanned and the fault code retrieved. That being said, it is possible a restricted fuel filter could cause a lean condition and turn the light on. I would start with replacing the filter if it hasnt been done in some time as this may very well resolve this concern.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can i buy a a fault code tester somewhere and retrieve the code myself

Depending on your build date, you may be able to stop at you local parts store and they can retrieve the code for you. If they can is done at not cost. If you have a early built 1995 is will need to be done by a real scan tool as a code reader will not work.