Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair

my head gaskets three times..there is still a leak on the drivers side

Customer Question

I have changed my head gaskets three times and there is still a leak on the drivers side. I'm at a loss and need to know where to go from here.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 5 years ago.
Hello:Has the leakage been confirmed to be coming from the head gasket (head to block)? Thanks let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No it hasn't. It is leaking somewhere above the starter.
Ok then,Take a good look at the right rear of the engine block (just above the starter, there is a freeze plug) Through time the freeze plugs tend to corrode and then leak coolant,(I would replace all of the freeze-plugs due to age, even if not leaking, in time they will) Thanks Please let me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I go about changing the freeze plug?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Would that affect it keeping an idol?

To change the freeze-plug You will have to raise vehicle,Using long bar (like 1/2 extension about 2 to 3 feet long) And drive the plug intowards the engine (using light raps with hammer) Then when plug is knocked free from the hole,using channel lock plyers remove the old plug,And then using hammer and bar drive in new plug, and refill coolant,Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you mean knock the bottom of it so it goes at an angle? I'm not sure how I would get it out if I knocked it all the way in?
Yes ,You are 100% correct the best way to knock it at an angle, But if it falls in you can grab it with your fingers and pull it up so you can grab it with channel locks or plyers.Thanks Please leave good feed back for me!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can I replace them without taking off the heads?

Yes, They are on the sides of the engine block,And at the front and rear of heads, To do rears of heads you will have to raise vehicle,Thanks