Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

1999 Isuzu Rodeo: V..it makes a clicking sound under the hood..again.

I have a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS, V-6
When you try to start the engine, it makes a clicking sound under the hood, from the starter area. If you operate the key several times, sometimes it will suddenly start. But if you shut off the engine, you have to go threw the process again.
Is the starter shot?
Thanks
Lynn Miller
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. yes.. near 100%, you are describing a classic failed starter problem. The solenoid mounted on the starter is working but the actual starter motor itself is not at times. This can happen at any time, many cases only with hot engine, sometimes just cold engines. At some point it will not react to your key on/off over and over. When you are turning the key to run? the click is the solenoid and it then send 12 volts to the starter motor. At some pint the 12 volts to starter will spike and the starter will then kick in. If starter was easy to get to, I would say tap on the starter next time it clicks and if it cranks right up? 100% bad starter